Coopers Community

My brew stopped fermenting to early, why?

DennisM4

Greetings from sweeden i bought a coopers brewers kit with irish stout kit included. So i got it hope this tuesday and first i had a little missfortune, it the yeasttube didnt bubble at al. Turned out the lid was untight. Placed it in the right position and it started to bubble instantly. But now after 48 hours it basicly stopped bubble again. About a bubble per minute. Read somewhere to shake it could solve the problem. So i did, and it started bubble like crazy and then back to the way it was. Now its shown alittle better but i think i imagine cause of the waterloss in the tube when shaking. Any clue what it could be? I have the "bucket" in a dark room with a stable 25 degrees C. And any idea how i could get it back to normal?

Leave it be, dont trust the airlock (or as you called it the yeast tube). Use your hydrometer to measure a reading. I am not sure on what the final gravity should be but I would be guessing around 1010.

When your hydrometer shows the same reading over 2 consecutive days then it is ready to bottle although it should be a low reading similar to 1010.

Some people decide not to use an airlock at all ( http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=9927#post9927 ).

Some more experience brewers will also post some advice but this is what I would be doing.

Ohyeah airlock im sorry, my english is alittle cracky.

Thanks alot for the tip, but shouldnt i be concerned at all? It still working prooving everything is tight. But i read a post on another forum what to check for including :

* Condensation on the inside of the lid

* Froth forming on the top of the brew

* A beery smell around the fermenter

* A layer of sediment forming on the bottom of the fermenter (obviously you'll need a fermenter you can see through for this one!)

My brew has all those things.

And another fact when i tested the brew with my hydrometer it was actually Carbonated allready. Is this a concern?

As u see im really new with this kind of things even though i probably checked all videos in the subject befor i brewed and read every manual closely and also followed them correctly.

And about me shaking the bucket. Was this the wrong thing to do?

Again im greatful for your respond this quickly

Leave it be, dont trust the airlock (or as you called it the yeast tube). Use your hydrometer to measure a reading. I am not sure on what the final gravity should be but I would be guessing around 1010.

When your hydrometer shows the same reading over 2 consecutive days then it is ready to bottle although it should be a low reading similar to 1010.

Some people decide not to use an airlock at all ( http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=9927#post9927 ).

Some more experience brewers will also post some advice but this is what I would be doing.

Thanks so much that made my stomach is a bit calmer, looked at the lid and the condensation is back on it so i guess its a sign that it still fermenting.

Actually tasted it now when i used the hydrometer, hope thats nowhere near the end result lol.

haha yeah my first taste wasnt too impressive either, come to think about it my first brew wasn't.

Just remember to trust your hydrometer as if the gravity reading is falling that means its still fermenting.

It may still taste a litte bad when you add the carbonation sugar and put it in the bottle but the longer you leave it in the bottle the better it will taste as the yeast will clean up the mess and fix it. I plan on having my latest stout I made in the bottle for 6 months before I taste it. [annoyed]

Hehe hope mine wont be a disaster though, think the bad taste was a strong taste of yeast. But it wasnt sweet as i thought it would.

Yea i will keep on checkin with the hydrometer. Even though i could bearly see through the foam that just kept comin. Though made a little mistake, spilled the full tube that comes with the hydrometer over me. I smell kinda nice now :) .

Wow! No rush there hehe. I cant wait to try mine so i think mine will be a bit young when i drink it. Planning on trying it on new year.

Well thank you wery much, ive always wanted to try homebrewing since i got a taste for expenive beers such as stouts and ales. And wanted to mix it up myself a bit so i get exacly what i like. Finally bought my extract and the same day i ordered the micro homebrew kit. So now i got a irish stout going on as i sayd but also got extract/sugar and drops for another mix. Stout original collection.

By the way my favorit commercial is coopers best extra stout. Is any of these similar to that? I use the coopers "brewing sugar" pack.

Wow thank you very much for the tip. How much yeast should i use for that combo? The cans contains sugar aswell aint em?

Original series stout can + dark ale can + 1 kg dextrose is very close to the Coopers commercial Best Extra Stout.

Exxxxcellent.

Dan

Use both cans, both yeasts, and 1 kg dextrose. Fill to 23 L. Brew around 20 deg C.

The cans have malt extract and hops in them. You will end up with a stout above 7% alcohol. It's very nice. As a matter of fact, I'm now going to open one tonight [biggrin]

nope you should add additional fermentables but I do believe that there are some in the cans but it wont be of a high percentage beer.

Don't Quote me on the above, the more experienced brewers know more their. With the Best Extra Clone, just chuck both sachets of yeast that come with both cans and presto.

I used the gladwrap method with this one at first as it looks goes like a volcano,

Okey i will try that recipe for sure! Sounds great. But any idea how it turns out with for example coopers brewing sugar? The one with sacroce and maltodextrin, instead of dextrose?

And one more thing now the airlock stopped entirely any idea of why?

Dennis - To avoid the volcano's wrath it is best to fill to about 18L and then top it up to full volume after a couple of days (once the krausens died down) with cooled boiled water.

DennisM4

Dont pay any attention to your airlock! It means nothing, Just take a reading before putting in the yeast then take another reading about 7 days later, then another reading the next day, If the two readings are the same you can bottle, Forget the airlock.

Have fun! [biggrin]

Tryed with the hydrometer now. Now i can say for sure its 1010. Tasted aswell. Actually tastes pretty good even now! Kinda weak for a stout but it tastes beer for sure even if it isnt done. Will this change any? Will it be more of a stout taste? Its been formenting for 5 days now

Archived