Coopers Community

Help! My beer is flat!

realquick_xo

Hey guys,

Just opened a few bottles i brewed in December and bottled on the 4th of January and they are all flat. this is about my 10th batch and ive never had this problem. the only difference i can think of is that this is the first batch I racked. The temperature has been fine as I'm in Adelaide and temperatures in my house havent dropped below 18 degrees Celsius. i need advice on whether or not i should try to recarbonate it or just throw it out? should i chuck it all back in the fermenter and chuck some yeast in again? any advice is much appreciated.

4 hours ago, realquick_xo said:

racked

Even when you racked, you would have brought across some yeast.  Certainly enough to carbonate in the bottles.  Although, just to check, did you run the beer through a filter while racking?

Everything else in your process sounds fine.

What did you prime the bottles with and how did you do it?  Using the PET bottles or glass with caps?  PET's tightened up enough?  Screw top or crown top glass?  How does the beer taste?

You could re-prime the bottles.  When you do it, be quick because they will froth up.   Keep your fingers crossed for 2 weeks.

I have had the occasional flat bottle.  Never a whole batch.  If they were PET's I threw them away.  750ml Fliptops got new seals and all good.

56 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Even when you racked, you would have brought across some yeast.  Certainly enough to carbonate in the bottles.  Although, just to check, did you run the beer through a filter while racking?

Everything else in your process sounds fine.

What did you prime the bottles with and how did you do it?  Using the PET bottles or glass with caps?  PET's tightened up enough?  Screw top or crown top glass?  How does the beer taste?

You could re-prime the bottles.  When you do it, be quick because they will froth up.   Keep your fingers crossed for 2 weeks.

I have had the occasional flat bottle.  Never a whole batch.  If they were PET's I threw them away.  750ml Fliptops got new seals and all good.

I Did run it thru a sieve in an effort to remove floaties in the beer.

i used coopers carbonation drops

i bottle in crown top bottles with a capper so fully sealed.

the beer tastes fine, in fact pretty good, just flat.

how would i reprime? just drop another carbonation drop in and recap?

31 minutes ago, realquick_xo said:

how would i reprime? just drop another carbonation drop in and recap?

Yep.  And like I said recap quickly.  There will be CO2 in the beer, but not enough to pressurise it.  When you put the drop in its surface will be nucleation points, like the bottom of a Headmaster glass, for the bubbles to form and be released.  Refrigerating the beer before re-priming will help to reduce foaming.

I prime with table sugar mostly.  So the once or twice I re-primed it frothed up real quickly.

I still cannot think of why your bottles did not carbonate in the first place.