Coopers Community

Coopers DIY Team: Pitching Rates / Hazy IPA ROTM question

pilotsh

Hello @Coopers DIY Beer Team,

Happy New Year! 🥳

And now my request for knowledge: in the Hazy IPA ROTM you provide a Lallemand American East Coast Yeast Sachet for the 23 Litre brew. The packet (11g) suggests a pitching rate of 1g/Litre, which means the recipe is pitching at just under half the rate of Lallemand’s recommendation.

Could you please explain how and why Coopers concluded that this would be enough of that yeast for the recipe? I am interested to learn how to know how much yeast to pitch, and an understanding of how Coopers was happy to pitch so little in this recipe! A little explanation would help me (we, us!) learn when to add a second yeast sachet when adding adjuncts to a basic Coopers starting Can! 👍

Thank you again for the ongoing forum and support!

Cheers! 🍻

Edited by pilotsh
Typo
  • Like 1

I am doing the 2020 Vintage Ale tomorrow.  In preparation I have done a Coopers Commercial Ale (CCA) starter made up of the dregs from 8 Pale Ale stubbies plus about 50ml of CCA yeast that I harvested about 5 months ago.  I harvested 30% of the starter for my next use and 70% for the Vintage.

I do not think that 6 stubbies would have been enough for the Vintage (21L of 1.067 wort).  The 2018 and 2019 Vintage said to use a CCA culture plus the brew can yeast

The Brewfather yeast calculator says two packets of 11.5g yeast for the Vintage brew.  It actually says to use 19g, but you might as well chuck in both packets.

Similarly, the Coopers XPA is 23L of 1.061 wort and again Brewfather recommends 19g.  When I do that recipe, I will either make a starter from the American East Coast Yeast Sachet or from the CCA I harvested above.

I will be interested to hear what Coopers have to say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 3:54 PM, pilotsh said:

Hello @Coopers DIY Beer Team,

Happy New Year! 🥳

And now my request for knowledge: in the Hazy IPA ROTM you provide a Lallemand American East Coast Yeast Sachet for the 23 Litre brew. The packet (11g) suggests a pitching rate of 1g/Litre, which means the recipe is pitching at just under half the rate of Lallemand’s recommendation.

Could you please explain how and why Coopers concluded that this would be enough of that yeast for the recipe? I am interested to learn how to know how much yeast to pitch, and an understanding of how Coopers was happy to pitch so little in this recipe! A little explanation would help me (we, us!) learn when to add a second yeast sachet when adding adjuncts to a basic Coopers starting Can! 👍

Thank you again for the ongoing forum and support!

Cheers! 🍻

G ‘Day @pilotsh

Happy New Year to you too! Yes we are back on deck, sorry we missed this one earlier. 

That is great to hear you’re brewing the Coopers Hazy IPA ROTM, it has been extremely popular.

If you’re looking at recreating the Coopers Hazy IPA beer, we would recommend cultivating yeast from a commercial Coopers beer and pitching that.

We included the American East Coast Yeast with the recipe pack for people who didn’t want to culture up the commercial yeast. 1g p/litre is the recommended pitching rate, but we found in our trials that the Lallemand American East Coast Yeast was able to fully attenuate the beer without issue, while providing a good ester profile for the beer.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1