Coopers Community

Help

AllanT1

Help! I can't find a reason why my Lager is cloudy, 1st brew, coopers kit, it is fermenting,temp 68*f, ring at the top, some settlement on the bottom, it has been 5 days. I am not known for my patience so that may be the problem. Airlock did not work but I read I didn't need it. I looked at the FAQ and I either missed the reason or it isn't there.Any info would help. Cheers!

Allan, it will be cloudy during fermentation as yeast are in suspension.

It should clear up nicely after bottling as the yeast drops out of suspension, particularly if you leave it in the fermenter for a few days to a week after fermentation finishes before bottling.

Dan

SOm it would be better just to leave it set for a couple more days? They say up to 7, I plan to check it with the hydrometer again tomorrow. So panic not needed I guess! If I bottle it cloudy it will clear. the Yeast will settle to the bottom of the bottle right? Sorry to sound so dumb, it's my first time so be gentle.

Allan, my first lager brew didn't bubble through the airlock either. It also took 14 days to ferment. As I was told at the time..."Patience grasshopper!" You will find it clears up pretty well in the last couple of days in the FV.[happy]

I tend to leave my brews for 2 weeks now as routine, even if they finish fermenting in the first week. After a few weeks in the bottle most brews clear up nicely and get better with more time. Keep the bottles upright and pour gently so as not to disturb the yeast on the bottom and you should be fine.

(PS - if the yeast gets disturbed and the beer gets cloudy - it still tastes just fine!)

Dan

I tend to leave my brews for 2 weeks now as routine, even if they finish fermenting in the first week. After a few weeks in the bottle most brews clear up nicely and get better with more time. Keep the bottles upright and pour gently so as not to disturb the yeast on the bottom and you should be fine.

(PS - if the yeast gets disturbed and the beer gets cloudy - it still tastes just fine!)

Dan

Top advice, 2 weeks i reckon is great for clearing without finings, the other thing being your beer will be most probably clear in the bottle after a week. Instead of longer with one week fermentation.

Jeesh, I feel pretty stupid but when do I bottle? When the hydrometer reads the same 2 days in a row? They beer taste kind of sugary with a flavor of yeast. I am guessing I should leave it in the fermenter? Wrong? I don't care so much about cloudy as taste and content, and I don't mind waiting but I read if you wait too long before bottling it isn't good either? It will be 7 days tomorrow. I read all the FAQ's and it appears I should rely on the hydrometer. Yet it also appears I should wait longer for a lager. I am going to make up my own mind but I wouldn't mind some drinkers input either!

You can bottle when the hydrometer reads the same 2 days in a row, preferably around what you expect as a FG for the particular brew, you can check that with one of the online calculators.

I now leave a minimum of 2 weeks as I think this gives a better result, and doesn't seem to significantly increase the risk of infection. (I can be patient though, as I have a good stockpile!).

It's now up to you, experiment and see what works for you.

Cheers

Dan

yep what Kearnage said. The Hydrometer tells you when the brew has stopped fermenting and that it is ok to bottle, not that you must bottle(or kegged) immediately. once you have done a few more brews and have some drinking stock, it will be easier to leave it alone in the tub for clarifying. at least 2 weeks is very common round these parts.

good luck grasshopper!

Hey Allan,

Bottle that sucker & get another brew on straight away to start to build up a stockpile [devil] . Then you'll get used to the processes & your beers will get better & better. Then you won't be stressing to get the beers in the bottle so quick!

Jeesh' date=' I feel pretty stupid but when do I bottle? When the hydrometer reads the same 2 days in a row? They beer taste kind of sugary with a flavor of yeast. I am guessing I should leave it in the fermenter? Wrong? I don't care so much about cloudy as taste and content, and I don't mind waiting but I read if you wait too long before bottling it isn't good either? It will be 7 days tomorrow. I read all the FAQ's and it appears I should rely on the hydrometer. Yet it also appears I should wait longer for a lager. I am going to make up my own mind but I wouldn't mind some drinkers input either! [/quote']

how long is too long... well, its retorical - you can keep your brew in fermenter for a month and nothing bad will happen to it, in fact, it will taste better because yeasties will clean up the mess they made during the rush feast on a sugars...

as for taste and smell - it will change 10x over next few weeks - some days it will taste yeasty, 2 days after that - completely new smell and taste, not always good....

anyway, yeasty smell = not ready. I would reccomend you leaving your brew for at least 10-14 days in a fermenter and bottle afterwards and dont worry, nothing bad will happen with it.

If you feel bit too obsessed about your first brew - I would advice you getting another fermenter (plastic buckets are cheap!) and start new one :D

another 2 cents - less you meddle with it, better it will be, meaning that taking lid off and checking each day is a good way to get it infected.

so, to sum it up

1. leave it in fermenter for at least 10 days, better 2 weeks

2. it is absolutely normal for beer to change flavor from bad to worse, then to good and then to great - patience, grasshopper!

3. if brew is still cloudy - its not ready to bottle, first sign that beer finished fermenting will be all yeast settling down and making it clear in fermenter AND it does not mean it will taste good then

so, time and patience.

OK, I freaked, went down today, tested with hydrometer, same as yesterday, went down to show my buddy the beer and the foam was GONE off the top. So I bottled it, tasted ok, bottled clear, now I wait 14 days. Pretty much Chritmas day! Did the foam going away mean anything. I have not lifted the top but used the spigot at the bottom of the barrell for testing. I knew opening and exposing was not good. nNow I am ready to make my second batch, any ideas?

G'day Allan, wouldn't be a bad idea if you drop the anxiety levels down a cog or two. Beer making is not supposed to be stressful [whistling

There are plenty of recipe ideas in the How To Brew section, have a read of the styles then check out the recipes under the style that interests you [biggrin]

Believe it or not this is my anxiety level drop, hehe, I have been having fun with it too but I am excited about my first batch. Trust me, this is not stress or anxiety, just excitement! I have a lot of friends telling me I don't have the patience for this and I can't wait to prove them wrong! Kidding! I was patient, waited 8 days, saw the foam gone, figured the wort was done and thought now was the time for bottling! Hope I am right and

thanks for the help! I will be back picking your brains and someday I will pass my experience on to other rookies.

Archived