Coopers Community

Should I bottle?

GMan10

Hi Everyone,

OK, first brew, coopers lager (although I'm told it's ale). Put in fermenter Sunday (20th Sept). Hydro reading around 38. What it is supposed to be. Removed Kollar Day three, checked Hydro - 14. Checked today 14. From everything i read, 2 days same steady reading and ready to bottle, however doesn't seem right. I thought 6 days in fermenter, then check for 2 days same FG and then bottle. Am I good to bottle now or will FG fall more? Can it wait til weekend.

Temp has been steady around 19 rather than 21 coopers suggests.

Sorry an absolute newbie!!

ok, thanks. I have a blanket, it's in my office and house temp is 20 but it's around 18-19. I'll try to think of a way to increase temp a bit without moving - maybe a sleeping bag to replace wool blanket or maybe get wife to hold on to it for a few hours to warm it up with body heat 

🙂

The IanH spreadsheet provides an accurate OG/FG for ingredients. Lager and BE1 is 1.038 - 1.013. So it's probably done. You could wait a couple of days to let it settle and clear. It may drop another point, but unlikely if it's already stable.

1 minute ago, Lab Cat said:

The IanH spreadsheet provides an accurate OG/FG for ingredients. Lager and BE1 is 1.038 - 1.013. So it's probably done. You could wait a couple of days to let it settle and clear. It may drop another point, but unlikely if it's already stable.

Yep I agree, but I calculate 1.038 - 1.012 so I would try to warm it up a couple of degrees for another two days or so.  A 3 day ferment tells me it might just need more time at a slightly higher temp to finish it off but it is nearly there.  If still 1.014 after that then yep bottle away.

Cheers - AL

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

ep I agree, but I calculate 1.038 - 1.012 so I would try to warm it up a couple of degrees for another two days or so. 

Might be the variation in spreadsheet versions. I too would have expected it to get lower given the high % of Dex in there. Always a good idea to get the beer a bit warmer to finish off. I always crank mine up 2-3 degrees for the last few days, especially if they've got a few points left to go.

5 minutes ago, GMan10 said:

OK. Sat is bottling day. Really appreciate input. I'll let you know how I go.

Saturday would be better than going too early. You don't really want the ferment process to finish off in the bottles as it can leave a krausen ring around the top of bottle which looks like mould. Not very appealing to the eye.