Coopers Community

carb drops question please help!!

stevep8

i am brewing the mexican cerveza and it will be ready to bottle in about one week. But im not sure how many carbination drops i need to put into my coopers 500ml pet bottles. can anyone advise please!! the instructions say one drop for 35oml and two for 700ml so i was thinking along the lines of one and a half drops.

but it seem stupid that coopers sell these 500ml pet bottles but dont have the correct carb drop amount to go into them. cheers steve[biggrin] steve

Ditch the carb drops and start bulk priming [bandit] The more you brew the more you'll end up with odd sized bottles to fill so bulk priming is the answer. Just get yourself a big food grade bucket and mount a tap, and prime the whole batch at once [cool] the bottling bucket makes filling your bottles a lot easier too.

cheers for the reply m8.[happy] the bulk priming sounds like an excellent idea! im a complete noob at this stuff, and have just bought 48 coopers 500ml pet bottles plus carb drops so i need to use the drops this time.[annoyed]

ive actually experienced something similar but with glass. I was misinformed and thought the bottles where actually 700 mls (I did question that they look small to be 700) although back to the point.

I had used 2 drops for about 10 of the bottles when I thought that the liquid wasnt being used quick enough. Although they have been bottle conditioning for neally a month now and no bombs.

Also another good thing about PET pottles are that you are able to de gas them later down the track.

Matty

I use 1 drop in the 450ml Grolsch bottles, they carbonate mint! I would use 1 drop in your 500ml bottles, but given they are PET I would fill the bottles closer to the top as I suspect the air at the top would more likely compress than the c02 would into the liquid as the PET bottles expand. Bulk does sound like the best option though. Never tried it myself.

Steve, I would try 1 drop although I havent tried them yet. I am assuming that they will be a little under carbonated tho seeing as they are designed for 375 mils, and 2 drops would be over carbonated. If you can go 1.5 drops but I think that would be way too much effort.

Although FamilyGuy says they seem to carbonate fine with 450 mils so try that I spose.

Infact I would give bulk priming ago and then see if I can use the drops in some larger or smaller bottle

I don't know your location and I'm not suggesting you are a bit slow or you can't read etc, but are you SURE they are 500ml Coopers PET? The 740ml PET bottles seem smaller than regular 750ml longnecks.

Paul might be able to confirm, but I have never seen 500ml PET's. I have only ever seen/used the 740ml jobbies, but they may be for another market e.g. USofA or Latvia etc.

If they are 500mls you could use 2 drops and just release the presure in time, or use 1 drop and ensure perfect secondary ferment conditions after resuspending the yeast good and proper.

Bulk priming is the go for future brews.

Our agent in the UK supplies Coopers brand 500ml PET bottles.

The idea, as I understand it, is that 1 carbo drop is sufficient for the level of fizz that UK based brewers prefer in their brews.

AS others have said, you may need to consider builk priming if 1 carbo drop per 500ml PET does not do the trick [wink]

Paul might be able to confirm, but I have never seen 500ml PET's. I have only ever seen/used the 740ml jobbies, but they may be for another market e.g. USofA or Latvia etc.

except of course, for the 500ml PETS made for the UK...[crying][joyful] [innocent]

Stevep8, I had a similar problem. I had a bunch of 500 ml. PET bottles. I guess-timated how many bottles I'd wind up with and batch primed. Dissolved the carb drops in 2 cups (probably about 500 ml) of hot water and added just before bottling. Turned out great. Cheers, pete

Ah yes, they are 740ml because..............dunno

The original 4 footed version of PET botle was already in circulation when I started with Coopers. When we looked to go to the 5 footed version we thought it best to continue with the same volume. [sideways]

When I use the Grolsch bottles, which are 15.2 ounces (456 ml), I use 1.5 carb drops (a sharp knife snaps them in two nice and neat). They really pop when opened! Never had a bomb, either. Being a Yank, I prefer a generous head, so others may well get by just fine using one carb tablet for anything under a half liter.

Also -- the biggest thing I've learned vis-a-vis head and lacing is that glasses out of the dishwasher need to be further rinsed before decanting the brew into them. This is true even when storing the glasses in the freezer (another Yank thing, I suppose).

Happy brewing to all.

...(snip)...This is true even when storing the glasses in the freezer (another Yank thing' date=' I suppose).[/quote']

I'm a cold glass man myself. A lot of pubs in Oz keep them in the frige as do many places in Asia (Although SE Asia is the only place I have received a warm bottle of beer and a glass of ice [lol] ). So I don't really think it is a yank thing.

I know some people frown upon using cold glasses for beer as the condensation/ice formed on the glass apparently waters down your beer [annoyed] ....I tend to think this has a negligable affect on the quality of the beer though.

• 1 month later...
Very unfortunate that Coopers no longer sell 740 ml PET bottles in the UK. I was looking to increase my stock of PET bottles but can only get them in 500 ml size now. That is an increase of 50 per cent in the number of bottles that need to be cleaned and sterilised. Always the way. You find something that you have been waiting for and then, after a couple of years, it gets taken off the market. Back to kegs I suppose. Annoyed

Maybe not everyone was willing to give up pint sized beers?

It begs the question if they are selling 500ml bottles do they also sell appropriately sized carb drops? It seems a bit stupid not to.

EDIT: This was a response to the post below. Not sure how why mine is now above it????

Very unfortunate that Coopers no longer sell 740 ml PET bottles in the UK. I was looking to increase my stock of PET bottles but can only get them in 500 ml size now. That is an increase of 50 per cent in the number of bottles that need to be cleaned and sterilised. Always the way. You find something that you have been waiting for and then, after a couple of years, it gets taken off the market. Back to kegs I suppose. [annoyed]

I asked at my local home brew store why the Coopers bottles in the UK were now 500 ml. I was told that the bottles are sourced locally by the Coopers agent in the UK. However, there are still some shops that still have supplies of the 740 ml bottles but only as part of the Coopers Microbrew Kit. Well I always needed another FV, spoon and hydrometer. [wink]

Hi all, I'm another Christmas newbie.

I figured this was a good thread to ask about carbonation drops and not start a new one.

I should be bottling a batch of the IPA India Pale Ale later this week. I went to a shop here in the States for an extra set of bottles and came out with glass.

My question is, the bottles are 22oz or 650ml while the carb drops are designed for 740-750ml.

Do I run a risk of making grenades if I use 2 carb drops in a 650ml bottle or is that 100ml difference nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance, I'll probably be asking questions soon when I start freaking out about things heheh.

Archived