Coopers Community

Volcanic Stout - suggestions?

Journeyman

Some time back I made a coffee stout and rather stupidly messed up the priming - first go at bulk priming. After a good couple of months in the cupboard the bottles were 'active' but that just meant very careful pouring - a 'glug' while pouring meant a slow eruption from the rest of the bottle.

Now I seem to have made another error. I recently had 2 brews in the fridge and then did another to go in the cupboard with an electric blanket to keep things warm enough. I didn't think to move the stout out of there. Now I get a vigorous eruption on opening the bottle - previously I'd get 'steam' but it would let me pour - this just burst from the top as soon as I flick the top off. Not quite formula 1 champagne level but last night I managed only a decent mouthful out of a long neck, 😄 so it's getting close!

Kinda reminds me of those chemistry lessons where a tiny amount of ingredients would form long foamy snakes. 😄

Any suggestions on what to do? 

I normally 'flick' the tops as I re-use them and that ensures they don't get crimped. Tonight I will try easing the top a little to see if I can release pressure slowly. Any other tricks? I'm going to chill it right down although it is a beautiful drink at around 7° or so.

Not sure if it is solely to do with over-priming or else you would have had volcanic beers after a couple of months in the cupboard.

It could be an infection of some sort or the type of yeast that continues to chomp on complex sugars over time.

Not much you can do now except be very careful. Storing them in the fridge may slow down the process. Trying to de-gas them is hard when the beer explodes out of the bottle.

I just opened one VERY carefully - about 10 secs of 'hssssss' and spilled nary a drop.  👍

I don't think it's infection, unless there's something that has no effect on flavours. Although, thinking about it, the bottle from yesterday had something come out when   I was washing, like the yeast had dried into a thin scab rather than being easily shaken up again in the water. Haven't seen anything like that in the others, including the one the night before.

Damn it's a nice beer though... 😄

Edited by Journeyman