Coopers Community

Using a cube for 'bottle conditioning' like a keg?

rugbrod

Howdy

Potentially a very open-and-shut question, but is it possible to 'bottle condition' say 5-10L in a well-sealed water container with a tap? (like this)

Maybe it would work until I try and draw something from the tap or maybe it would just shoot out due to the high pressure of the secondary conditioning?

Any insight would be cool!

This got me thinking and to be honest it might actually work. I would certainly be interested in the outcome. I would however do it in a round vessel like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/adventure-products-25l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240533 . You could waste a few buck by half filling with a cheap soda (coke) and shaking the $hit out of it. You are correct about the pour though, it may not be great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Titan said:

This got me thinking and to be honest it might actually work. I would certainly be interested in the outcome. I would however do it in a round vessel like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/adventure-products-25l-blue-tint-wide-mouth-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240533 . You could waste a few buck by half filling with a cheap soda (coke) and shaking the $hit out of it. You are correct about the pour though, it may not be great.

Maybe test it out with a very cheap k@K. I'm a little bit interested too.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it would work, looking at past experiences.

I use a 21l water jerry can from Bunnings as a cube and installed a tap to make pouring into the FV easier. Just start the pour and open the tap, so air gan get in and the wort flows freely. While this part works fine, there is a problem. The hot wort softens the plastic and the thread holding the tap isn't as stable as I'd like it to be and wears out rather quickly. As a result, it comes loose, to the point where it starts to leak. When I soak the cube in sodium percarbonate, the pressure from the released oxygen almost pops the tap out. It loosens to the point where the pressure escapes and water leaks all over the shop. 

I wouldn't risk a batch of beer on this one to be honest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I dont think it would be pressure rated. The lid and tap would blow surely? I could be wrong. If it did work........great idea for a party.

Yeah I thought the pressure would be the big problem - otherwise we would surely be seeing plenty of plastic kegs around.

7 hours ago, Titan said:

Initially the idea came to me when I was thinking about doing a batch of ginger beer or hard seltzer in some 1.25L soft drink bottles, but yeah the pour looks to be the big issue. Even if it held, the pour would probably be super spattery or it would lose all the carb.

Thanks everyone!