Coopers Community

Stout questions?

I have a stout that has finished in the fermentor. Planing on natural carb'n in keg using DME. 

Recipe has me adding coffee ensence for 2nd ferment, all good, add to keg at same time as priming.

To add more chocolate flavour, was thinking of dry roasting 200g of cacao nibs, mainly to kills bugs, and add them as well. Should this work? or will it just add bitterness?

In the Choc stout ROTM they steep the cacao nibs then add it to the FV.

"Place the strained liquid onto the stovetop, bring to the boil add the Cacao Nibs and Vanilla Bean (or substituted extract or essence) then remove from the heat. Cool the liquid by placing pot in a bath of cold water for about 15mins then strain into Fermenting Vessel"

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Hi GN81,

I recently did a stout with 250g of Cacao nibs.

Roasted for 20mins (can't remember the temp but it was the same as on a brulosophy  article),  then poured into 250mls of Gentleman Jack for  several days.

Poured the lot in when fermentation finished (cacao nibs in hop bag).

Was bloody lovely, absolutely  delish!!

Coopers Irish, Amber malt can, 500g wheat DME, 250g LDME, 300g of sugar, Nottingham ale yeast .

250ml of Jacks added about 0.4% ABV to total batch

Cheers

James

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 5:29 PM, James Lao said:

Hi GN81,

I recently did a stout with 250g of Cacao nibs.

Roasted for 20mins (can't remember the temp but it was the same as on a brulosophy  article),  then poured into 250mls of Gentleman Jack for  several days.

Poured the lot in when fermentation finished (cacao nibs in hop bag).

Was bloody lovely, absolutely  delish!!

Coopers Irish, Amber malt can, 500g wheat DME, 250g LDME, 300g of sugar, Nottingham ale yeast .

250ml of Jacks added about 0.4% ABV to total batch

Cheers

James

liking this recipe, how long did you leave it in before bottling and how long did your fermentation take?

Hi Allan,

My brews are usually at FG in about 8 days and I am sure  this one was the same.

The nibs were soaking for a 3-4 days I think, then put in at the end of fermentation and left for a day or so before kegging / bottling.

Just Kegged a Stout minus the nibs and it is good but I am missing the chocolate hit I was getting with the previous brew.

Will be adding the nibs next time defo!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1