Coopers Community

need you help please

nicolas

hi everyone,'m new on making beers and want to perform.i'm actually doing my first batch of coopers pale ale.i've been following the instruction clearly with the process(I guess).

now,here is my problem:

My beer has been fermenting for 7 days, the gravity when I start was at 1037 and it's been at 1012 for 2 days on the row from day 6,but the beer taste yeasty and I can see something who looks like yeast on top of it.i read on some forum that the beer is too young that's why cause the taste of it.i wonder also about the yeast on top.

Should I wait?or put in the bottle anyway?is the yeast taste will disappeared with the 2nd fermentation in bottles?

Thank you for your help

IMG_9102.HEIC

@nicolas can you chill the beer in the FV down (cold crash it) by placing it in a fridge or turning the temp controller down on your FV fridge (if you have one) to say 2 C.?

Maybe the sample you took for tasting had some yeast/trub in it.  Can you take a bit more of a sample to flush any trub from inside the tap and the the tap area, say another 1/2 glass or more and discard.

Then take a drinking sample in a fresh glass immediately afterwards and try that for taste then report back to us.

If you can cold crash it for a week it will drop most of the yeast out of suspension in your beer and it will clear up.  Once it's cold crashed you could add some gelatin mixture on the second day (say) to further the clearing of the yeast out of your beer.

Cheers - AL

I wouldn't do all that, it's not best to expect a first time brewer to crash and fine a brew. They could fubar the whole thing.

At those readings for 7 days, it's done. If it tastes yeasty, that's a subjective thing based on never having brewed before. The beer isn't ready, of course it's not going to taste ready. Lots of beers have residual yeast or krausen remains on top. My bitter looks like that right now.

Get it bottled. Leave it 2 weeks. It'll be fine.

• Like 1

thanks IB00Z2,i don't have any FV on hand as te beer is in room temperature in the kitchens have a big spare fridge that I can use to chill the beer if that can help.i also notice that the tap is pretty low as I'm using a custom drum, not a proper beer kit(I will share a picture below).it may be the case for the taste.but when I put the sample in a tube the beer looks pretty clear and don't show any sign of yeast.i fell it's sounds a bit difficult for a first brewing to play with te gelatine as I'm novice.i saw in some video on YouTube that people use a pipe to drain te beer from the top instead of a tap.do you recommend it?

Now, LAB Cat ,thank you for your quick reply I wonder about this yeast who is still floating on te top, should I just skim te top with a sanitised spoon and leave for a good 6 hours to let the particules drop down to the tub before I can start my bottling?is the yeast taste will disappear by adding te sugar into the bottles after the 2 weeks of 2nd fermentation?and I would love your opinion too.botteling from the tap?or drain it with pipe from the top to another bucket before filling the bottle,does the beer should be strain(without touching the bottom of it)?

Thank you guys I will wait your answer before I get through it today.

8th day of fermentation still yeast on top.HEIC drum.HEIC

Can't help if those are attached images. They aren't a known file type, so won't open.

I'd leave whatever is on the top, if you're bottling from a tap on the bottom, it won't make any difference. 

Yes those images are a no go for me too.

If your beer is clear enough by your estimate and because you don't really have access to cold crash fridge then skip these parts for this batch.

Also because your tap is very low perhaps do not use the tap for bottling unless you can tip the drum backwards to get the tub away from the tap. Do this by chocking up the front of the drum with some handy sized off cut of wood or whatever.  Leave it chocked backwards a couple of days as you may stir up the trub doing this.

I too use drums but don't use the taps, just a bung in that hole as my drums with taps attached do not fit in my small FV fridges.  I use a SS auto siphon and draw from out the top of the drum.  Gets bloody tricky holding the siphon and filling bottles so you will need a mate to help hold the SS siphon dip tube just above the trub.  I have rigged up a adjustable gizmo to do just that so I have both hands free.  Will post some pics when I get the chance. 

If you have two bottle filling wands you can fit one at each end of the tube and use the one immersed in the beer as the auto siphon part by jiggling it.  Look up auto siphons on YouTube or suppliers web sites to get the idea.

You could use some sanitised PVC tube for the siphon nut I find the auto siphons very easy to use when bottling.

Good luck with the beer.  PS what did you use to create those images?

Cheers - AL

thanks IBOOZ2, LAB CAT for your help it's much appreciated I would do some research online about the auto syphon and get back to you from your both advices, the reason why I'm asking about the syphon Lab Cat is because I don't have any visibility from my drum so I would like to  avoid any sediment from the bottom by using the tap.

will also try to figured out what happening with the pictures(will try to convert to PNG).

I've tried the gravity and its still the same 3 days on the row (1012)on the tube for the sample I notice a little layer red.is it supposed to be normal?

Thank you all

IMG_9112.PNG

IMG_9111.PNG

IMG_9110.PNG

@nicolas Here is a pic of a plastic auto siphon, as I said you can make your own with a bottling wand on each end of the PVC tube.  One in the beer used as the auto jigger bit and one on the other end - in the bottle to assist with bottling. So two bottling wands and one bit of compatible PVC tube and you have what you need.

The one in the pic is a PVC tube with bottling wand as the jigger and open tube end goes into bottle.  Or you could reverse it around once the PVC tube is full of beer so siphon works.  Hope you get my drift.

Cheers - AL

Plastic auto siphon.PNG

yes I got, decided to do it from the tap in the end, it was pretty easy and quick, will probably update next batch wit a tube bottling.i thank you all and will keep you update for the tasting.

Thank you very much!!Drink safe 😉

• Like 1