Coopers Community

Ugh. Pain in the bum.

Instigator

Someone tried making some suspicious purchases on our credit card, so the bank has cancelled it and will be reissuing. Bank says a retailer/vendor was probably hacked. I normally use Paypal, but recently we have bought a couple things with the CC. Two brewing related sites were from Coopers and Grain and Grape. Not saying it was them as my missus also bought some art supplies. Bank says the attempted transaction was from a Michael Clarke in Tasmania. One transaction was for $1 (test to see if card works) and another for $797 at Office Works. Both blocked by our bank.

Last week a business I do some work for advised me of a recent attempted scam against them. It involves paying for goods/services with a stolen card, then quickly attempting to have it refunded into a bank account before the card is flagged as compromised.

Anyway, I'd read the scammers are out and about even more at the moment and I guess it's true. Check your statements and keep track of your online purchases.

• Like 1

I have a debit card from NAB. I got it closed off for internet purchases. It doesn't mean it can't be used but I have to enter all details from scratch. Annoying but it means people can't click on 'remembered' details and use the card. Also I only keep minor amounts in the account.

We got compromised years back through Paypal - got the money refunded but only after some bitchfighting between the bank and PP trying to work out who would pay back what.