Coopers Community

mosaic cryo hop with coopers lager kit

Hey guys, 

i was wondering what recipe i could do with the Mosaic cryo hop and the coopers brew kit that comes with the lager? I was thinking of just going by the normal recipe but i really like pale ales and was thinking of maybe adding some hops to it. Just considering it uses an ale yeast anyhow.  Interested if anyone has used the Cryo hops before and what they think of them, in particular the Mosaic one? Also this is my first time brewing.

If you brew the basic lager recipe that comes with the coopers brew kit you'll likely get a thin beer without much flavour and without the clean, crispness of a good lager. I would definitely use some hops if you've got them and use a Brew Enhancer 2, instead of the BE1 that comes with the kit. Better yet get a kg a light dry malt.

If you had 1kg of ldm it could replace the BE1, but only 500g might leave the beer a bit light in alcohol. BE1 is 600g dextrose and 400g maltodextrin, so you could maybe use half the BE1 and the 500g of ldm. The reasoning is (and there are many more experienced brewers on this forum that could give more info or even correct me) that too high a percentage of dextrose can leave a beer a bit 'thin' in body. Maltodextrin is unfermentable so is used to add body (presumably to counteract the dextrose) but for this reason can sometimes leave some perceived sweetness in the beer. Most of the brewers here will guide you to use either BE2/BE3 or just use malt extract and leave dextrose/maltodextrin out altogether. For your first brew I think it will be fine to use half of it and see what you think.

The malt will add colour and flavour but it's the ale yeast that makes the beer an ale. 

I've never used mosaic before and am far from the most knowledgeable person here when it comes to hop additions. Given it's your first brew and we want to keep it simple I'd say 25g hop steep and 25g dry hop would probably go alright. Hop steep means to boil 2l of water, then as soon as it's boiled, take it off the heat and add 25g. Leave that to sit for 20 mins or so then cool it in a water bath for another 10-15. Then use that 2l as the liquid to dissolve your lager can and dry ingredients in the fermentor. For the dry hop, grab a Chux cloth straight from the pack, put 25g of hops in it, tie the cloth into itself leaving a bit of space for the hops to expand, and then drop in the fermentor 3-4 days before you plan to bottle, but at a minimum after at least 4 days of primary fermentation. Try to take the lid off for as short a time as possible and try to fully submerge the hop bag.

• Thanks 1

Personally, given the lack of love for the Lager tin, it needs all the help it can get.

I'd go 1kg of LDM. Boil 20g Mosaic with half the LDM, cool, strain and toss into the fermenter with the rest of the LDM and the lager. At day 5 throw in 30g Mosaic in a sanitised chux. If you don't want to get into hop boils yet, just chux the whole 50g.

Cass, I steeped Mosaic with my last pale. I don't think it suits it, it changes the flavour to much for me. It's better now after a month in the bottle, but it was a overly peachy/nectarine. Boil and/or dry hop works best IMO.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thanks for that,  so i would still boil cryo hops? 

Also, what change does boiling cause, what does it do to the flavours and aromas?

Additionally, could I just drop the hop in, I think it comes in a powdered or pellet form or if it better to put it in a bag?

Thanks so much for your help guys, this forum is awsome for greenhorns like me😀👍

I've never used cryo, you should google that if you want to find out more

Boiling brings out flavour and adds bitterness, but beer kits are already hopped, so short 'top up' boils of up to 20min are recommended. Steeping and dry hopping brings out flavour and aroma without adding, but the amount is hop specific. Some hops are better at bittering or dry hopping, some both.

Edited by Lab Rat

• 5 weeks later...

Boiling hops results in some of the alpha acids changing shape, so that they become bitter. Boiling reduces flavour and aroma. To get the most out of them, don't boil them, or only boil for five minutes max. Personally I would follow Cassius advice.

Cryo hops are usually reserved for the dry hop. They have had some of the bract removed, so there is less vegetable matter. They are usually used when making huge dry hop additions, to avoid some of the herbal, resinous, and astringent character you can get from large additions.  They are smoother. Unless you are making a NEIPA or XIPA, you can probably use regular pellets, which are cheaper. But since you have these, might as well use them.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1