Coopers Community

Graeme Eastwood

Graeme Eastwood

Hi all I have just put down a brew 3 days ago (my first attempt) but there is something wrong as when I try to take a sample the brew spurts out all frothy and I can't get a reading.

I used white sugar as I hate the taste of sweeteners, would this make any difference?? the temp is constant 28, the brew is an orange color with a small amount of froth on top.

What have I done wrong??

1. 28° is too high for almost any brew.

2. What is the beer you're making and how did you make it?

3. Is there a Kraussen on top of the liquid? (Kraussen is a thick (2 cms or more) covering like a thick foamy head, often brown coloured)

4 Is the brew bubbling?

5. Let the sample sit for a while - it sounds like you're in mid-ferment and the yeast is working like crazy at the high temp. My last one came into the sample jar with a couple cms of head and I had to wait a couple of hours to get a reading.

For future posts, anything like this probably belongs in the Brewing Blether forum rather than Club Convos 😄 Might be why you had to wait a while for a response.

OOPS! I see you got similar answers in your other thread. 😄

Edited by Journeyman

Nothing wrong in terms of taking the sample, they are usually frothy but given time it settles out and you can take the reading. 

Agree temperature is too high. Around 20 is much better.

Sugar won't make the beer sweet because the yeast ferments it out. All that's left is alcohol. It'll make for a pretty watery beer and coupled with the high temperature it'll likely taste like cider more than beer.