Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Question - Sugar

SteveM17

Hi Guys,

My first post here. I'm about to attempt my first Ginger Beer brew, and was after some advice. The standard recipe calls for 1kg of Raw Sugar. I have a 1kg packet of Coopers Brewing Sugar, and was wondering if this will achieve the same result as Raw sugar, or could it be better/worse?

Also, if anyone has advice on the Ginger Beer brew...extra additives etc, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers,

Steve

I made a brew up according to the destructions on the can.It's not too bad, has to sit for a good while in the bottle before you can crack one open though.

Next time I'm trying 500g of dextrose with the raw sugar, I suspect the raw sugar is used just for the molasses content.

I do wonder however if honey might be an interesting addative to this brew.

Stout Dave

is this for the alcomohol version or non i have made a non but am going to make a alco one next the non is very nice but as posted by stout has to sit for a length i think i made it august and is just startin to get nice tastes

My wife is drinking the Coopers ginger beer I bottled in Oct 09 with 1kg brewing sugar, she says it's got enough ginger taste, not a fan myself, like apple cider needs a while in the bottle to mature. If anyone is brewing cider try adding 2 litres of preservative free apple juice.[happy] [happy] [joyful] [joyful] [biggrin] [biggrin] [cool] [cool]

My missus convinced me she could get into this homebrew thing... If I made her a ginger beer.

Based on one of the recipes on here:

1x can of Coopers ginger beer syrup

1x kg (1 box) of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

750g of raw organic sugar

I thought I'd wind back the raw sugar a touch from the 1kg proposed in the recipe, although 250g of sugar over 1.75kg of solid + ??? liquid probably accounts to sweet FA.

No fresh grated / sliced ginger in there for the first brew - something to try on subsequent ones.

Sampling after primary fermentation: Pretty sweet, cloudy gingery colour, good ginger flavour - not zingy or bitey.

Will give it a couple of months in the bottle and report back - so far looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick pre-melbourne cup race taste test of the GB, and it has turned out really well![biggrin]

It is mostly like a bundy GB, but slightly more dry - maybe 70% ginger beer, 30% Ginger ale.

Good head, bubbles getting smaller by the week.

Next time I would add some fresh ginger - it could do with more ginger flavour, and perhaps try chucking in chillis / cinnamon / capsicum as suggested on the alcoholic GB recipe thread.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet thanks mate was worried i made a mistake that would of ruined a good gb and i aint doin that thanks heaps pb2 oh forgot to ask pb2 how long should you leave a gb to ferment mate it has been down for bout 12 days now i put 1.5 kg of dex and 0.5 of raw sugar with 2 yeasts ???

• 2 months later...
My missus convinced me she could get into this homebrew thing... If I made her a ginger beer.

Haha James, mine too - it was 2 years ago (9/2/09)and we still have 15 tallies left out of 28 - if only I could leave the beer to age that long - no chance! The GB is tasty, (1kg Bundy Raw Sugar only) but whilst there is ale next to it in the fridge...no contest [lol]

Archived