Coopers Community

FermZilla

Red devil 44

My lovely wife is going to buy me a FermZilla for Xmas ( she has no idea what they are, I will buy it and wrap it up for myself, good wifey I have 🤣🤣) Question is are they a good item to have around ?

I am a mere K & K man, don’t have the time for AG. 

I am keen on one & have watched a few Vids on them, but not sure ?

I have a few fermenting fridges which are a necessity here in Qld, 41 degrees today in my neck of the woods, going by the measurements of the FZ and my fridge it will fit no problems.

I understand the fermenting procedure with CO 2 etc, but once you get it do you still need to gas it up to a serving pressure etc for a few days, or is the CO 2 in it enough, I would say you would have to still gas it up, but somebody here may know the correct answer to this ?

Cheers & Good Brewing 🍺🍺

You don’t need much pressure to ferment at. I only ferment between 5-12 psi. And because I have the time to do so (working away) I keg it and leave it at serving pressure for two weeks before I start drinking it and it’s always perfect. But I’d imagine if you kept your keg 1 or 2 psi less then your fermented pressure while transferring you wouldn’t loose any CO2

I have yet to test this myself, but I read that if you want the beer to be carbonated once chilled, you need to set the spunding valve to something like 20PSI during fermentation. I have also read that if fermenting at >15PSI it can be dangerous and that you should wear eye protection when handling.

A study I saw said that there is not much improvement in flavour fermenting at 30PSI vs 15PSI, so for safety sake it is best to ferment at 15PSI or less. This will require topping up the carbonation at bit once chilled, if you want to start drinking it right away. The other option is to do as Cosmos does and leave it for a while at serving pressure. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

Another bit of advice is to make sure the butterfly valve is closed before you pour your canned wort in. Other wise it will sit in the collection bottle with no way of mixing it. You’ll love it. It’s a really good bit of gear. Heaps of YouTube videos so check them out

On 12/8/2019 at 6:26 AM, Cosmo2450 said:

Another bit of advice is to make sure the butterfly valve is closed before you pour your canned wort in. Other wise it will sit in the collection bottle with no way of mixing it. You’ll love it. It’s a really good bit of gear. Heaps of YouTube videos so check them out

Cheers for the tip Cosmo, much apppreciated 🍺