Coopers Community

Favorite Yeast

JaredW

im with muddy what ever suits the style your making...SAF US-05 and SAF W34/70 and SAF 58(the belgian one) are really effective dry yeasts.....WHITELABS BURTON ON TRENT is probably my fav liquid yeasts!(all liquid yeasts are bloody effective in my experience!)

cheers

matt

Mine is my "House Yeast" which used to be Wyeast 1056 American Ale which has probably mutated to give me my house flavour. (Which is all good!!!)

For lagers, S23 cause I can't be stuffed doing starters for lagers.

whilst this is a thread about yeasts, I have just used a Gervin English Ale yeast on My Coopers IPA, it is still in the FV and after 5 days SG is down to 1006 at 24c (OG 1042 at 24c) I'm a little surprised at the reading being so low and may even get lower.

Does Gervin English Ale yeast normally ferment to so low a level? all my other brews have have finished around the 1012 mark.

I know a brewer who loves Gervin - he is looking for fast ferments with high sedimentation.

FG is also related to the qty of healthy yeast cells pitched and the percentage of simple sugar in the brew.

So a low FG will be achieved by pitching a higher quantity of yeast say 15g in stead of 11g and combined with higher percentage of simple sugars. In this particular brew I used 300g of Dextrose and 425g of honey plus 500 DME. I presume the Dex and the honey are regarded as simple sugars and together will make up a considerable percentage of the overall fermentables and this is why my FG is quite low?

Archived