Coopers Community

Coopers glass stubbies?

MitchellB

Hi guys

Not really new to the homebrew scene, but new to these forums. I've been lurking around for the past few days and have been trying to research the best bottles to use. People talk about using coopers longnecks, but I have only ever seen/bought stubbies around here.. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I'm not a fan of largies, so the Coopers stubbies would do me fine. My only concern is the bottle strength. Some people on here have said they use them, others don't. So I pose three questions to you all..

1. What would be the best bottles to use from coopers? (Preferably stubbies) I would have liked to brew my stout in those clear glasses for aesthetic value, but they look like they are pretty thin.. UV isn't an issue because stouts don't really last very long in my house.

2. What bottles do you use?

3. What bottles do you refuse to use?

On a side note; I think I might like it here [lol] It has a nicer feel than most other homebrew forums.

Cheers,

Mitchell [bandit]

iv'e only been here for a short while myself mate if you wait for pb2, muddy or the more experienced brewers here i am quite sure they will have a good answer for ya they always have great knowledge on which to use and which not but welcome mate [biggrin]

use coopers tallies as these are designed for reuse. Other than that, if you want smaller bottles, go for Grolsch style bottles. I find that the glass in all the other bottles is too thin and would be quite volitile. I prefer to bottle into tallies or largies as you call them because i am lazy and cant be bothered cleaning and sanitizing that many bottles. Plus, i find that i cant just have one stubby, i would have two. So the tallie is ideal. [cool]

Hi Mitchell - Welcome to the site [biggrin]

These days I tend to use a combination of Cooper's longneck bottles, Grolsch Swingtops, and Cooper's PETs. The glass bottles are strong and good for long term storage and the PETs are convenient and will be good for at least 1 1/2 years.

As for regular Coopers stubbies (and similar bottles from other breweries that are marked as not to be refilled) - they will work and I have used hundreds of them sucessfully but you have to take into account that the glass is thinner. This means that the bottles are more susceptible to small cracks and the like which can cause the bottles to crack or explode. If you are using these bottles you need to make sure that your beer is absolutely positively fully fermented, not over primed and the bottles are clean and free from infection.

I tend to avoid clear bottles but have occasionally used old 1.25L pet soft drink bottles which are handy for taking to a barbie or similar.

Mitchell Welcome[biggrin]

I have used Corona bottles successfully but find they tend to chip around the top easily after a couple of goes so you have to keep buying coronas if you want to keep using them! Alternatively you could buy a kegerator and give up on bottles [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] I HAD to put that in for Muddy[lol] [lol]

I'm a little funny when it comes to bottles. To me, one of the enjoyments of beer, is cracking open one. This is why the Grolsch Swingtops, and PETs don't appeal to me.. It might be a silly reason, but I guess I'm just picky that way.

I think I'll buy a slab of coopers and trial out the stubbies. I'll keep my eyes out for the tallies as well.

Squishy, I find being able to see my beer in clear glass very appetizing. I was using 600ml plastic coke bottles at one stage.. My family has a bit of a 'Coca Cola' addiction.

Believe me, I've been eyeing off some keg systems in the past few days.. But I've got far too many hobbies, and have spent well and truly too much money on them all.

Thank you for your feedback guys [biggrin] You've been a great help.

Cheers,

Mitchell [bandit]

PS: Has anyone ever had a beer bomb go off in their hand? Just curious about this.. I've never heard any horror storys regarding beer bombs, I've just heard that about 'holy' ceilings.

G'day Mitchell,

Coopers recommend that you don't use bottles carrying the words 'no-refill'. [rightful]

This got me thinking about when we brought out the sturdy 750ml glass bottles. Here's a blast from the past, even with comments from Kai who now works with White Rabbit brewery [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

coopers sparkling ale longnecks are the only decent bottles for homebrewing i can get from my local bottleshop nice and thick and crown seal i don't worry bout stubbies the thought of cleaning 60 little ones rather than 30 big ones puts me off, i've also been using vb twist top longnecks which hace been fine so far but much thinner than the coopers besides the sparkling is a much better beer so that is an easy decision as to which one i buy, never used pet i don't really know why but i just cant bring myself to

Well, I went out to the bottle-O.. I'm lucky(I think) to live only 5 houses down from a pub/bottle-O.

I went looking in the largies fridge and found both the Sparkling Ale, and the Pale Ale longnecks. I was a little disappointed that there was no Stout long neck, but I've got it in the fermenter.. so I will just have to wait.

I bought the Pale Ale, because I didn't see any difference in the bottle.. I think it's safe to assume both are the same bottle type.

Thank you PB2, and the rest of you for all your help. I think I'll aim to buy a few largies a week, and buy one or two slabs of stubbies to see how well they hold up.

Cheers,

Mitchell[bandit]

Hey MitchellB

If your stocking up on coopers longies have a go at recultivating the little YEASTIES from the bottom! It'll make your beers Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much better. Its very easy and theres lots of forums on the topic floating around here. If you've got the longies there anyways may as well have a crack all ya need is a bit of water and sugar

Cheers

hey mitch

didn't mean to confuse about coopers longnecks being different i'm sure there all the good re useable sort its just down here on the northwest of tassie we are starved of coopers longies sparkling is all i can find (geez its not that far from south australia is it???) happy brewing!

I'm a little funny when it comes to bottles. To me' date=' one of the enjoyments of beer, is cracking open one. This is why the Grolsch Swingtops, and PETs don't appeal to me.. It might be a silly reason, but I guess I'm just picky that way.[/quote']

I know what you mean this is actually one of the reason I like Grolsch bottles - They are very satisfying to crack open - They pop just like champagne (except they taste better [biggrin] )

I've got some long necks now, but I think I'll get a case of Grolsch beer.. for the beer and the bottles, never had it before.

I called up a homebrew shop today, and asked them how much their plastic bottles were. $20 for 15x 740ml PET bottles. To me that is just ridiculous. I can pay $40 and get a case of Grolsch, or $30 for some thick stubbied beer.

Side note: Since when did supermarkets stop selling the homebrew PET bottles??? Went to various IGA/Coles/Woolies stores and could only find homebrew tins and brewing additives.

In my house I feel that plastic would get crinkled and chucked around too much. Everyone respects glass a lot more, and I hardly have any issues with broken glass.

That's a good point Trusty1 [lol].

Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy with the girlfriend, hobbies and stuff.

Cheers,

Mitchell [bandit]

same down here mate coles used to sell most of the coopers items also went in there bout 2 weeks ago they had there stuff cheap as i thought beauty bargains now they have nothing in coles what so ever to do with home brew wtf is that all about oh well guess it's kmart or hbs [cool]

oh i forgot to add a side note there mitchel if your payin that much mate there rippin ya off big time i live in rural victoria and pay no more then $15 for pet also check out liquor craft they have pretty good prices on there bottles

I'm fairly new to this homebrew lark and have only coopers pet bottles and the odd 2lt coke. Looking around this forum,this has seemed the way to go for newbies. Easier to clean and no worries about exploding glass. No tell-tale clinking either to alert the wife when bringing bottles in from garage.[innocent]

15 Coopers pet $11.50 in local bigw. Also Coopers homebrew now in my local woolworths

I agree with the previous posts about the satisfaction of opening up a bottle, but I've stuck with the PET bottles initially because of bomb fears when first brewing. I still can't bring myself to drink from one though, got the biggest stein I could find, holds most of a PET bottle.[happy] [joyful]

I agree with the previous posts about the satisfaction of cracking a glass bottle. I started off with PET bottles because of fear of bombs and stuck with them but can't bring myself to drink from one. Bought the biggest stein I could find, almost fits a whole PET bottle in.[happy] [joyful]

It is very, very rare that I drink any of my beer from the bottle and never ever (ever) from PET. I generally use a schooner glass for my PETs and longnecks and just put the remaining half a bottle in the fridge to refill the glass when I'm ready (and it'll still be nice and cold [rightful] ).

Has anyone tried the 640 ml longnecks that you can get from home brew shops now, can't remember the brand, been drinking(sparkling ale).

Old style shape, glass seems pretty thick, I got some at around $19 for 12, just have to drink some beer from glass.

Stout Dave

Archived