Coopers Community

What to do?

So I have been given a gift of 12 long necks of Sparkling Ale for my birthday (a day or two ago). 

I really want to capture the yeast and culture it for a few brews.

But I wont be doing any brewing for at least the next 9 weeks or so, if not more closer to say 13 weeks.

So do I , store the beer and harvest the yeast when I can (8-13weeks time)? or do I drink them in (8-13weeks time) and not worry about the yeast?

Does storing them in a fridge (say between 2-3 celsius, with tight temp control) help prolong the time I can keep them before harvesting the yeast?

@GingerNuts81. Personally, I would drink all the beer as fast as I can, harvest the yeast and just stick it in the fridge for however long till I brew. 

The tight temp control idea should warn the family not to mess around in the frdge.

Good luck! 😁

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

32 minutes ago, GingerNuts81 said:

So do I , store the beer and harvest the yeast when I can (8-13weeks time)? or do I drink them in (8-13weeks time) and not worry about the yeast?

Does storing them in a fridge (say between 2-3 celsius, with tight temp control) help prolong the time I can keep them before harvesting the yeast?

Hey GN81... what an interesting dilemma.

The beautiful thing you must note is that you will be the proud owner of 12 beautiful Coopers Largie bottles to do secondary ferment in once done enjoying slurping them.  (make sure you rinse them out three times with hot water after consuming contents and drain). 

A couple of thoughts and I do note there are others on the site who are more qualified to talk about yeast than me...

1. I understand that for harvesting commercial yeast, that lower ABV is better and hence Coopers Pale Ale with lower ABV is better than Coopers Sparkling - but I would much rather drink Sparkling myself so believe you are better off come what may ; )

2. If you really are keen on harvesting the yeast, I myself would suggest cold storage of said Sparkling between now and time to use would be better than decanting early and having possibility of infection. (happy to be corrected by others but that is my suggestion).

3. You have a dozen.  You may be able to do a bit of BOTH.  Drink some early as Worthoggler wisely suggests, enjoy the ale, and harvest into sterile container and put in fridge.  And then drink some later and harvest them in same way.  Keep the two yeast populations separate in sterile jars.  At the time you want to use them - run a couple of yeast starters and see which one fires up the better... and use that one.  Must have good hygiene around the storage jars and adding the yeast into them over the harvesting period.

And just another quiet thought... seems to me that for Ales that Safale US05 is a champ and for Lagers that W34/70 is the business... just stuff I have learnt on this site... and for every suggestion there is a counter-suggestion 😝

Cheers and good brewing. BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And just another quiet thought... seems to me that for Ales that Safale US05 is a champ and for Lagers that W34/70 is the business... just stuff I have learnt on this site... and for every suggestion there is a counter-suggestion 😝

Cheers and good brewing. BB

The best Ale yeast, to my mind is Coopers International Series kit yeast (Int). It tastes like US-05, but has the added advantage of bottle secondary at lower temps*, which makes it a superior winter yeast. I harvest as much as I can but alas, I have run out and you can't buy it unless you buy a can of Coopers APA, for example. So back to US-05 for me.

Cheers

* Coopers Kit International yeast is an Ale/Lager hybrid.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, Worthog said:

The best Ale yeast, to my mind is Coopers International Series kit yeast (Int). It tastes like US-05, but has the added advantage of bottle secondary at lower temps*, which makes it a superior winter yeast. I harvest as much as I can but alas, I have run out and you can't buy it unless you buy a can of Coopers APA, for example. So back to US-05 for me.

Cheers

* Coopers Kit International yeast is an Ale/Lager hybrid.

Coooooooooool.  I was pretty happy with my dry yeast US-05 which worked ok... but I will keep that in mind for the future!  Cheers Hoggler!