Coopers Community

bucks black brew

i've been asked to put this recipe up, as I'm only a newbie with hops/grains etc, please don't get too technical if you are seeking further information, this is what I used, and how I used them, and the results not too bloody bad. Normal sanitizing of all kit is as per norm, dry hop with sterile material. Yeast was added at 22deg, but several variables were not controlled, such as air temperature during fermentation, temperature during secondary fermentation etc. Environment temperature during these times was around 18 deg, but the stick-on thermometer was showing a brew temp of around 21-23.

1.7kg Innkeepers Daugher

500gm light dry malt

1.5lt dark malt extract

mangrove jack m29 saison yeast

300gm crystal malt grian

200gm dark grain

25gm styrian goldings hops dry hopped 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

day before, crack grains and soak in pot with 3ltr water .

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////

strain grain liquid into pot and bring to boil, once boiling remove from heat and place in cold water to cool

add the Dark Malt Extract with the Innkeepers daughter to 2ltrs of very hot water and stir to disolve

mix the LDM with sufficient cold water (200ml) to make a slurry 

once grain liquid is cooled enough, add to fv with ldm slurry and kit/dme mix

top to 23ltrs with cold water ensuring temp in the 18-22 range

2 days after brew stops working (about day 4 or 5) dry hop styrian golding hops.

add yeast, stir well, fit lid (i always use an airlock but its your choice).

My initial SG was 1.048, and after 9 days was at 1.014, and was bottled on day 13 still at 1.014

19 x 1250ml bottles were filled using 2 heaped teaspoons of white sugar per bottle. Brew was first sampled at day 11 and it was a pearler.

If you have any questions, ask and I will do my best to answer, If you have any doubts as to ingredient mix/process, I can't add any more than what records I kept during the process which are shown here.

cheers

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Instigator said:

Mate, I'd love to a photo of the finished brew in a glass.

here she be, this is the sampler from the other day, not quite 14 days in the bottle. kept its head the whole bottle.

glass bucks black brew.jpg

• Like 2

its not too bad, if you like black, its almost stout like. If you make it, ignore the smell, prior to bottling it had a very strong pungent smell, but it smoothed out in 10 days and will only get better. I was sampling it from day 6, once wort stopped and I started taking sg readings, i sampled the brew, so i knew it was tasting ok

3 hours ago, Instigator said:

Looks tasty!