Coopers Community

All grain with high OG

Potatoes

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a great Tuesday.  I did my 5th full all grain beer today in the robobrew today. The OG was higher than I predicted.  I ended with 1.056 and my recipe was aiming for 1.047.  Here is my beer recipe for an american amber ale:

3.2 kg 2 Row pale malt

0.9 Kg Crystal malt 60L

0.3 kg wheat malt

0.05 Roasted Barley.

Total grain is 4.45 kg

The mash was done with 23.5 litres at 67 deg c and for 90 mins (I got busy for 30 mins).  This was recirculated with they robobrew pump.

The sparge was done with 4 litres at 75 deg c, in a Robobrew.

Then I did a 60 min boil.

Hops-

40 grams Hallertau 60 mins

10 grams Northern Brewer 60 mins.

.5 tablet of whirlfloc

20 grams Cascade 5 mins

10 grams Saaz.

Dry hop 20 grams Cascade and 20 grams Saaz (to come).

Ended with 20.5 litres of beer at  1.056.  So my question is, will my higher OG through out my bitterness?  Secondly, my OG is higher than I expected.  Was I aiming too low?  I tried using Beer Smith for the first time and maybe I didn't put in the correct details.  Last question,  when I used an online calculator, my efficiency was 85% (https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/)  Is that normal for some of you pro all grainers? Or has my calculations gone a miss.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers, Dan

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It sounds like the Beersmith settings aren't right for your equipment. It usually sets a default efficiency of 70%. You'll have to measure and record, and adjust the settings accordingly.

Cool. I will tinker with Beersmith and see what I can work out.  Cheers, Dan