Coopers Community

Show us ya HOPS! 2010

AussieJosh

Hi boys and girls! I thought id start a thread here were us home brewers can post pictures and talk about hop plants we will be/are growing this season!

Right now i dont have any to show, haha :( cause the weather has still been a little frosty here in Adelaide. I have a chinook rhizome in the fridge ill be planting on wednesday, and i have just orderd a Cascade and Hersbrucker Rhizome. I hope to also have them by Wednesday so i can get all three varitys in the ground!

How about the rest of you boys and girls? Are you growing any this year!? If so what kind!? Pictures please!!! [biggrin]

I just noticed my EKG plant has just started shooting this is the 2nd year its beeen in so i hope i get some cones this year. I also got a columbus rhizome for me birthday so hope it does well. Has anyone ever used columbus before i've got o idea what its like lol

Got these suckers in the mail today! Mostly Cascade and two Hersbrucker. put them all in today and planted one chinhook yesterday.

While doing so i steped on this blue tongue lizard! Scared the crap out of me!!! I think he is ok though, after sitting still for a min he ran off!

528s.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

532r.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have just got my first hop plant in the post today has started sprouting and is about 5cm high it is a airloom variety smoothcone, we cant get hops here in nz as they r heavily paitented by ag nz, ill take sum photos once i get her planted [biggrin] [biggrin] rather exciting for me as its my first time growing and am lookn forward to seein others hops also

Got these suckers in the mail today! Mostly Cascade and two Hersbrucker. put them all in today and planted one chinhook yesterday.

Go Josh! I planted 2 rhizomes last year & killed 'em!!!!

Not a gardener... Too much love? Dunno?

I'll just stick to the pellets until I decide to have a real crack!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly no hops under cultivation for me. I looked into it a while back but all the literature i found suggested they wouldn't grow well at this latitude.[crying]

Does any body know of a variety that will grow well on the Central Coast of NSW?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so having got our little veggie and herb patch up and running the wifey and I have got the gardening bug. I bought up planting our/my own hop plants as we have an ideal location down the side of our garage as it gets a lot of the sun.

Have been doing a bit of research and seen they grow quite high which shouldn't be a problem. The problem is, where in Adelaide can I buy a hop plant or a cutting from a plant? (Google and ebay didnt come up with anything). I've read cuttings can grow quite well with the usual encouragement. After finding somewhere to acquire the plant/cuttings, has anyone got any suggestions on which variety to go for? At the moment just finding somewhere will be a success.

Paul, Josh I'm very jealous of your efforts, good work though they look pretty successful. Could you point me in the direction of your purchases?

Cheers,

Martyn.

Martyn,

I'm jealous that you have a spot to put them.

Your problem is that it is the wrong time of year to get rhizomes, which is how they are usually sold.

In winter / spring they crop up on eBay etc. or someone local growing them may be willing to share.

Dan

• 10 months later...

Thanks Paul.

I would love to get some Saaz, Hallertau, and some Goldings and Cascade growing.

Will look into it for next year, as by the sounds of it, I've missed out for this season.[pinched]

Great looking plants. . . [joyful]

Kinda reminds me of. . . . [bandit]

Archived