Coopers Community

Best kit beer?

JoshT3

I'd be leaning towards Pale Ale as a great all rounder. With various hop additions it can produce some great beers.

The English Bitter is also a top notch beer with or without additions to the base recipe - I avoided this one for a while as I didn't think it was "my kind of beer".

What kind of commercial beers do you like - with that info we can steer you in the right direction.

Other than that just work your way through the kits. It only gets better [biggrin]

Not in any way trying to "polish the apple", but I haven't met a Coopers kit I haven't liked, either straight from the recipe or modifying it. That said, my favorites so far have been the Pale Ale, the Heritage Lager, and the Pilsner. Right now I'm drinking the "Unreal Ale" recipe version of the Real Ale kit, and it's a winner! The Original Series Draught kit is a great base for experimentation IMHO. The only kit I haven't had luck with has been the Mexican Cervesa. First one was infected [my fault], second one I couldn't get it to ferment out low enough. Never figured that one out. The only ones I haven't brewed are the Canadian Blonde [next up], the English Bitter, and the Dark Ale. Looking forward to them!! [biggrin]

Thanks for all the replies. I like LCPA a lot so might try out the pale ale coopers kit next and maybe modify a bit. Also like corona so will eventually try something similar to that. Got another question if anyone can answer, my lager has been fermenting for about 5 days and I tested the FG, but the beer was very fizzy and had a lot of froth when I poured it into the tube thing and wasnt really able to test it properly. Is this normal? Or does that mean its just not done?

Discussion thread on LCPA

Yes, normal and probably still fermenting.

You can de-gas the sample by tossing it between two glasses 20 times or so - this will produce more foam but also drive the CO2 out of solution - pour it into the hydro tube and measure the SG once the foam has subsided [biggrin]

Thanks Paul, worked well. Raised temp from about 18 to 22 so hopefully that finishes up the fermentation nicely. Measured the SG and it was at about 1014 so still got a little while to go. Had a taste as well and wasn't amazing but what I've heard from others is that the lager gets better over time so I'll be keen to try in a few weeks [biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

I tried an English bitter at 8 weeks in the bottle, and i feel in love. Very tasty and smooth. Would probably be better with some more late additions of Kent Goldings hops, but still a great drop on its own. (made to the recommended recipe)

I'm currently working my way through the international series, I've experimented and talked to some seasoned experts and all signs point towards the ideal that the origional series is decent, but nothing special, the international series however are good kits. my second brew ever was a pale ale and I couldnt keep my friends away from it. Also made a cerveca for a mexican party and blew the sunbreros of some hombres. A fellow brewer made the english bitter and I was very impressed. I'm currently playing with the european lager and canadian blonde, not ready to drink yet but the european lager smelt and tasted so good when I bottled it I went straight out and bought another. Really, you should go do some research and don't experiment or deviate from set recepies untill you really know what your doing.

happy brewing![rightful]

Archived