Coopers Community

SMOTY and sediment

BrentW2

Just bottled my first SMOTY (had a litle sample before bottling and tastes great), everything went to plan eg OG 1048 and FG 1006 with fairly constant temps of around the 20 degree mark.

After bottling noticed the amount of sediment was quiet thick when compared to other batches I've done. I'm assuming this is due to 2 can of extract being used for this recipe compared to toher brews I've done that have used only 1 can.

Am i right in this assumption?

When is the optimum time for drinking SMOTY, 3 weeks 4 weeks 6 weeks etc???

I don't drink darks beers or stouts much so I have no problem keeping them for 6-12 months minimium. My other beers don't last that long though [biggrin] . I try and keep stocks up enough so that I can put beers that I can hide away beers that need a bit of age and forget about them.

I think it is good to test at 2 weeks and periodically after that. It is a great way to see how different styles mature. The trick is not doing multiple bottle tests [lol]

So darker beers need more time?

Maybe...but not always [rightful] Darker beers tend to have greater longevity. [rightful]

The amount of conditioning time required is dependent on (but not limited to) ingredients, method, style of beer, personal taste.

Archived