Coopers Community

Sanitiser question...

MattC10

thanks can you use it to sanitise the bottles as well?

If you are talking about iodophor then yes you can absolutely use it to sanitise bottles.

as I understand it Sodium Per AND sodium Met are great CLEANERS.. Fantastic for removing biodegradable materials. BUT they both need rinsing as most of these products have approx. 30% Sodium Per and the rest being fillers and junk. Therfore not good as sanitisers as such (because of the need for rinsing). Combining these products with a certifiable No Rinse Sanitiser' date=' such as Starsan or the like is the best approach.[/quote']

That's right! All the methods mentioned previously in this thread using napisan, bleach etc suggested a thorough rinsing afterwards....also mentioned was that starsan and iodophor, if mixed correctly, do not.

again many thanks' date=' i used napisan style stuff to soak over night the a bottle brush, before a rinsing[/quote']

I wouldn't be using a bottle brush on the fermenter as it will create little scratches which the nasties will use to hide in.

I use starsan for a sanitizer' date=' leave bubbles in and, haven't had any issues yet.[/quote']

+1 only I use 2-3 lt of boiling water first, making sure to lay it on its side and roll it around a bit... drain and allow to cool then Starsan.

DONT FEAR THE FOAM!

I am soon to get Iodopher as well, I understand that using the one sanitiser continuously CAN allow some microbes to develop tollerances, swapping every few months will eliminate this risk. [cool]

• 3 months later...
I've never used Coopers sanitiser but I can vouch for napisan (or rather Cole's version of napisan). I use the Coles brand soaker - I recommend the one for sensitive skin as it doesn't have the perfumes or dyes. I've used the equivalent from Woolies and didn't find it as effective.

This is the one to look for:

soaker.jpg

Muddy do you use it at the recommended dosage on the tub or do you have your own formula?

hrrrrmmm I don't use that one but I just follow the directions which is 3 lids to 1 FV. Maybe I should try 1 lid and see how it goes. At least then I would get 3 times as much value and we all know I'm a tight arse [pinched]

Archived