Coopers Community

Dry hopping

Brett87

Yep.

In the past I’ve dry hopped on any day from 4-7.

Just place your hop sock (if you’re using one) in the wort gently. Make sure everything that is going anywhere near the fermenting wort has been sanitised. Don’t leave the lid off your fermenter too long either.  I just lift the lid enough to squeeze in the hop sock and shut it again. 

Yew

46 minutes ago, Brett87 said:

Awesome thanks just what I needed. So keen to experiment with flavours. 

Hey brett. Just as a general statement. You will not learn as much anywhere as you will here. I started brewing about 4 years ago and got on this site here about 3 and a half years ago and you will learn more here than reading any book. I went from brewing ok beers to beers as good or better than commercial examples. The knowledge gained here and your own experimentation will leave you never having to buy a beer again.

10 hours ago, Silmaril said:

I just throw my dry hops in. 

Cold crash helps with settling them before bottling.

Silmaril after cold crashing do you have to keep cold after bottling? How much longer does it take to carbonate? 

I recently bottled straight from the FV after a cold crash. Bottled at 1.5degrees and then stored in my usual cupboard. It took maybe a day and a half longer to carbonate due to the temp rising naturally above 18 deg. This was only gauged by doing a squeeze test on the pet bottles. By day 6 the pet bottles were firm as hell.

M

4 hours ago, Brett87 said:

Silmaril after cold crashing do you have to keep cold after bottling? How much longer does it take to carbonate? 

No, definitely not. They need to come up to 18+ to start the carbonation process. I give mine a bare minimum of 2 weeks in the bottle, so haven't noticed any difference in carb time compared to non-cold crash brews. 

21 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

No, definitely not. They need to come up to 18+ to start the carbonation process. I give mine a bare minimum of 2 weeks in the bottle, so haven't noticed any difference in carb time compared to non-cold crash brews. 

Excellent thanks mate 

Archived