Coopers Community

Rice wine

bennysbrew

• 4 weeks later...

Anyhow....

Bottled first batch tonight(20days) a little early I think, but I'm going away for Xmas tomorrow so it has to be done.

Recipe/process, so simple. 

1kg glutinous rice (boiled), 3 yeast balls. Water added- nil. 

Yield 1.7 litres. Taste, alcohol prominent, with a sweet finish.

Something different . Amazing to get that much out of just boiled rice 

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

i think that sounds great. any idea on the alcohol content?

Hard to get much info on it, roughly 20% they say. This one's definitely not finished, the pets I bottled it in were firming up after just a 4 hour trip in the car away today. I've loosened the lids now. Will get stuck into it Christmas day with the rellies..

Sounds like Shaoxing wine to me (glutinous rice, starter, water) but the Chinese commonly age this for 10 years or more to produce something resembling dry sherry with an alcohol content of around 18%.  

It is my 'secret ingredient ' in Asian cooking that makes my fried rice better than yours.  

You don't salt your fried rice ?   No wonder mine is better than yours, even without the wine.  

The salt is basically all that separates cooking wine from the drinking wine.  Maybe some food colour to make it more appealing to the consumer.  If you have ever made fried rice at home and always found it lacking against the rice you get from the the takeaway - it's the wine you lack.  

Archived