Coopers Community

Fermenting in the brew kettle?

Luke

Hi All,

Will this turn out alright?

My plan is to make an all grain beer, and instead of transferring to the fermenter after cooling, just stick the boil kettle with the lid on in the fermenting fridge, cool to pitching temp, then aerate and pitch the yeast.

I'm not fussed about all the trub in the bottom and I'm sure everything will be sanitary.

I'd be cutting a good hour off the brew day. (I'm getting really lazy...)

Just cornered a Master Brewer in the tea-room [biggrin]

He talked about "dirty wort", lack of aeration, increased DMS, astringency, bitterness, dissolving trub, excess nucleation sites, ...[sleeping] [sleeping]

I think you should try it and let us know how it goes [bandit] [bandit]

Nice, thanks for the info PB2.

All I get to corner in the tea-room is a ham & pickles sandwich! [roll]

Sounds like I'm doing another experiment!

How does a nice & simple single malt, single hop, low bitterness pale ale sound?

• 4 weeks later...

It's on!

Did an all grain 100% pilsner malt and galaxy hopped pale ale that I did a few months back.

It didn't save me any time, it only takes 5 mins to transfer to a fermenter. (maybe saves cleaning time!)

S.G. - 1.050

Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

The Galaxy hops were 14% A/A and smell amazing! I calculated 50 IBU's for this beer. (I used 60 grams througout the boil)

I would get rid of trub, it will settle and compact on the bottom and will deteriorate, producing a lot of "off-flavors".

Really, all you need to get rid of it is sanitized bucket (fermentation vessel) with airlock and spaghetti strainer - maybe extra 10-15 minutes of work altogether - just pour chilled wort through strainer into your FV.

I gotta be honest with you mate. This seems stupid haha [lol]

With my first AG, i got confused/panicked and forgot to not add break material and trub.

I can tell you, when i did mine like this (pretty much the same) the beer was opaque, and tastes weird from all the trub in the fermentation.

Theres a reason we REMOVE break materials and trub and hops gunk. But, if your not too worried it will still make beer.

A lesson learned haha.

Btw, next time, why not invent something more useful? hahaha

Best of luck [biggrin] ! We learn from mistakes. I guess some of us need first hand experience. [ninja]

Btw, have u heard of www.aussiehomebrewer.com? its more for all grain and stuff, this forum is more about brewing with coopers products (nothing wrong with that)

[biggrin] Yeah, that's why I did a nice & easy one in case it turns out ordinary.

I'm sure this will be a once-off experiment.

I have a look at aussiehomebrewer every now & then, but gotta admit, it's hard following more than a couple of forums!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My batch is all kegged and carbonating now.

It finished at 1.005 and the sample was all good.

Smelt like fruit salad in a glass! Passionfruit, Apricot, Mango, yum!!!

But, it was really bitter!!!! We're talking American IPA bitter. But that's ok! Beersmith calculated IBU's at 48 which isn't too high.

Hi Luke I know it's not all grain but I make all my coopers kits in a 32l stock pot. Just boil 4l of water in the pot to sanitize it steep your hops and grain in the hot water if you have them add beer kit and cold water pitch yeast and ferment.I have done 15 brews like this and it works a treat.No more plastic buckets for me[happy]

Here's the result...

photo2159.jpg

A little cloudy, but that will settle out with time in the keg (it's only been kegged for 3 days)

The bitterness is certainly not offensive! But if you weren't used to it you'd be a little shocked.

There are no weird or off flavours from fermenting in the kettle! [cool]

So this one's a success, but I'll probably use a fermenter because of the amount of trub and the effort of trying not to let any of that go into the keg.[roll]

Archived