Coopers Community

Light/Low Carb Beers...

AussieJosh

I found this on the net, thought it was very intresting...I my self went through a "low carb beer" faze for about 2 months then thought to my self "what the F%$& am i doing"!?

The last couple of lines of this are my Fave!!!

Light beers. Many drink them as they truly believe that there is some "health benefit" in drinking a lower calorie beverage. That they might avoid expanding that unjustly named excuse for a bloated gut. Some, even drink light beers as they appreciate the flavour and lightness. Well bullocks to all of that!

First let's discuss how some light beers are made.

Many breweries add enzymes -- usually derived from fungi -- to aid in breaking down unfermentable dextrins that would normally be left in the finished beer. Tweaking mashing techniques, fermenting at high temperatures, and aiming for high original gravities (a measure of sugar in solution) are other methods often applied, in conjunction. To boot, the vast majority of mega-breweries also add adjuncts like rice and corn in their beers (cheaper than malt and produce highly fermentable yields). For instance Budweiser is said to have 30% rice in it. If we wanted to drink sake, we'd break out the thimble sized mugs and go to town on the real stuff!

Anyway, these dextrins are responsible for much of the malt flavour and aroma in finished beer, however in the case of light beer will get converted into alcohol and carbon dioxide by the yeast - which also uses energy/calories to convert. Light beer brewers want to break down these unfermentable carbohydrates as much as possible as they will contribute around 4 calories per gram. Okay ... Now you are left with alcohol and its calories (essentially malt liquor - a strong tasteless beer)! In fact, beer gets most of its calories from alcohol, around 7 calories per gram. So how do you think they get rid of all the calories from the alcohol? They don't. Many light brewers, depending on the specific brewing method, will then dilute the beer with water to hit a desired gravity. End result = less calories.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of light beers have been watered down. While they contain only slightly less alcohol, the carbohydrates have been cut in some cases well beyond half. Unfortunately they have also been stripped of their flavour, aroma and body as a result. And, as the alcohol content is only slightly less, the overall calorie difference between a regular beer and its light beer counterpart ... well, it is hardly worth worrying about. Why? As stated, beer gets most of its calories from alcohol. Example:

(12oz) (ABV %) Calories Carbs (g)

Budweiser 4.9 143 10.6

Bud Light 4.2 110 6.6

Miller High Life 4.6 144 13.1

Miller Lite 4.2 96 3.2

Coors Original 5.0 148 11.3

Coors Light 4.2 105 5.0

Corona Extra 4.6 148 n/a

Corona Light n/a 105 5.0

Guinness Draft 4.1 120 n/a

As you can see Bud and Bud Light differ by only 33 calories. The average person can burn that off in about 30 minutes of sleep, or during a 10 min walk. Hell, by the time you are finished with this article ... it's gone baby!

So what is the benefit? Well here is the thing ... there is none. Not really. It is all more or less a marketing mind-. What you gain in way of less calories you lose in a major way with flavour, aroma and body. True, carbs get converted to fat, but this only happens when your body converts carbohydrates into glucose (cell energy) and glycogen (its stored form in your liver and muscles) and runs out of use for, or room to store, it. The amount of carbs in beer is very small anyway and they are good carbs (not derived from fat, and simple carbs that your body can break down quickly into energy).

Our BeerAdvocate advice: Live a little. Do not sacrifice taste for something that you will burn off in your sleep anyway. Had a few more beers than expected? Just quit your crying fatty and sleep in the next morning or go for a walk. You were probably fat before you began drinking beer anyway.

• 4 months later...

Guys!

MAY NEED PAUL FOR THIS ONE!

coopers stout (im having a glass now!) has a DRY finish!!

1)Does this mean that it would have say less carbs than say a sparkling?

2)were more sugars converted to make it dryer???

3)ahhh....IS EATING UP/BREAKING DOWN MORE SUGARS THE ONLY WAY A BEER BECOMES DRY???????

if the answer to the above is not a yes or no answer, any chance you could tell us how many carbs in a coopers stout 375ml, and i can compare it to the pale ale which you once told me was 6.1 carbs!!

cheers

matt

p.s. i numbered the questions to try n make my mind drivvle easy to answer.....YES, NO or NOT NECCASARILY will do for answers!!

I IMAGINE IT like this.....

sugars a,b,c,d and e always get broken down.

when you use a yeast or enzyme or different mash temp you can also break down sugars x,y and z....there comes ya dry finish!!

but a stout is not neccasarily low carb as it has massive amounts of sugars h,i and j which did not get broken down therefore did not ferment!

your carbohydrate level also stays up because of this!!

therefore you can get a dry effect without losing body!!!

you lose carbs.....you lose body........AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK???

CHEERS

MATT

p.s. im not drunk...ive had one glass of stout!

:shock: :shock: It aint dry...

Coopers Best Extra Stout actually has more residual complex sugar than most of our conditioned ales (vintage may be an exception, depending on the year). For me, it is bordering on the "sweet stout" style. It does have quite a high bitterness level and there is a little astringency from the roasted malt - is this what you are detecting as a "dry finish"?

possibly paul!!

thanks for reply!!

i was confused in tasting what i thought was DRYNESS........ yet i did taste the SWEETNESS!!

good answer mate, ill learn as i go!!

its like if i push my tongue againts the roof of my mouth during a mouthfull, i have a fizzy parchedness.......i thought this was dryness???

in sayin that,,,,,,,with the stout the fizzy parchedness happens anyway,wether i push my tongue or not!!

I JUST DONT KNOW DUDE!!

YOU N I HAVE TOO GET TRASHED ONE DAY N JUST SHOOT THE SH%T!! :roll: :D

cheers

matt

One way to confirm if you a confusing dryness for bitterness. Hunt around the botlto's for older Coopers Stout, it's out there. :wink: If you can find some with a Best After date from a year ago, PERFECT!! Then do a side by side taste test with the old stuff and new stuff.

no wonder my head went FULL NOISE THINKING the other day, that stout was 6.3%alc.......i make my homies at about 3.8 - 4.2.....to say it rocked me a little would be an understatement!!!

(just drank the other half of the tally, recapped after first pour, kept ok for 3 days!)

cheers

matt

Aussie is on the money!!

We had an ever growing number of oldies telling us that Coopers Best Extra Stout was becoming too expensive for them. Easy answer - reduce the alcohol, which lowers the excise tax and pass the saving on to the consumer. At that stage we continued to make a 6.9% stout known as Special Old Stout. Unfortunately, it was dropped when we went through a brand consolidation phase. Who knows, it may appear again some day.

Our Best Exrta Stout contains 3g of carbohydrates per 100ml. So that's 11.25g per 375ml stubbie. Comparisons below:

Mild - 5.63g,

Pale - 6.19g,

Sparkling - 7.88g,

Dark - 6.19g,

Stout - 11.25g

Thats intresting to know Paul Thanks!

Paul are Coopers still on track to bring out there low carb beer? I hope it has more flavour then the other low carb beers on the market and still can keep its full stregth! I could do with a man boob reduction! :lol:

Archived