Coopers Community

JS Stow Away

Bladeca

Now I've been only brewing for a short while and still on the coopers kits and will be staying there for some time, due to money and time or lack there of at the moment. Planning out the different brews I want to make I've been going through various recipes and conversations and what not. I'm usually a dark ale/stout, mid strength mega swill type drinker normally but IPA is around so much on this forum, other ones and youtube vids.

Today I decided I needed to try an IPA to see what they are. Now went to the bottlo on the way home and picked up a 6pack of JS Stow Away. Have had 2 of them tonight. How do these rate as an IPA? are they average in the style, below par or what? While standing in front of the fridge with quite a few to choose from I was looking at the various ones, the prices ect but just went with the JS simply because I've had a couple of their other styles and didn't mind them.

So what I'm really asking is, is the Stow Away a good enough example of the IPA style to decide whether it's a style of beer I like or not or is it just a mass produced commercial version that really doesn't do the style justice?

cheers

glenn

Tried a few of these a fair while back and I remember enjoying them.

Think they are more of an English IPA.

But that was when I was just starting to brew ( just over 2 years ago) and hadn't quite caught the hop bug yet.

I just used to like Dark ales and stouts and Euro lagers before starting brewing as well.

I think when people talk about IPA's on forums like these , it is the American type of in your face with citrus and fruit flavour / aroma hops and bitterness.

Others will correct me if I am wrong..

Did you enjoy the Stow Away?

I really like Gage Roads IPA (English-ish) and Little Dove (American-ish).

Think with IPAs you get bang for buck, usually not for the faint hearted (higher in ABV and flavour/bitterness)

Cheers

James

+1 to what James said.

I personally think the JS Stow Away IPA is a terrific British style IPA & very much under-rated IMHO. Quite bitter with a malt forward flavour. The American style IPA's generally carry less noticeable bitterness & are way more hop forward than malt forward in flavour.

It really comes down to your own tastes on which you enjoy more. What others favour really means Richard really. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks guys. You answered what I was looking for. I had imagined and hoped that the Stow Away was an English IPA. Just wanted to see whether it was a fair brew to be able to make a judgment about the style of whether I like it or not. I'll have another of the bottles probably tomorrow to give it another go. So far it isn't doing it for me, not sure what exactly I'm not liking but will see.

The other thing I'm starting to think is my gut doesn't really like to much hops seems to churn a fair bit after I've had the hoppier beers like the stow away, hop thief and the yak pacific ale but i'm still trying things to see if it is that. Damn that means more sampling I guess biggrin

cheers

Glenn

Archived