Coopers Community

2 different types of yeast?

RepSpec

Looking at putting down the IPA hop slam AU tonight...been thinking about the recipe and what i have recently done.

The recipe only calls for the can yeast, but im wondering, should i use more than the packet?

I have an APA can yeast as well...are they the same?

Or should i just rehydrate the IPA can yeast and it will be ok? Or even use it dry?

Hi RepSpec.

I must admit the recipe listings for the now five DIY Hop Slam recipes make it very confusing for brewers to understand & follow with any continuity.

• Some are to be brewed to 21 litres while others are to 23 litres.
  • Some suggest 1 x 7gm kit yeast only, while another suggests only an 11gm yeast, while another suggests 11gms + the 7gm kit yeast.
  • Some use 2 x 500gm dry malt extract, while others use 3 x dry malt extract.

Most confusing. sideways

To answer your question though, given the AU version ends up approx. a 5.0% ABV beer, if it were me I'd pitch the extra APA yeast as well just to be on the safe side. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I would think they would be the same yeast, though a number of Cooper's recipes tell you to include a kit yeast and another and they seem to work OK. Personally, I think Cooper's kit yeasts are good for anything but a high SG brew - e.g. I used two for my Irish Export Stout. It probably would have worked OK with one, especially if rehydrated or in a starter, but as I was pitching dry and had plenty - better safe than sorry.

The APA kit comes with an ale/lager blend, and the TC IPA with a third party ale yeast (which might be BRY-97) so you'll be using three yeasts, not two. You can do it though if you pay attention to temperature.

The APA yeast is supposed to be fermented at 18C. You would not want to ferment it at the 21C called for in the Hope Slam AU recipe as that is too warm for the lager yeast.

I suggest you rehydrate all the yeast together and pitch them at 20C, then draw the temp down to 18C over the next six to eight hours. Keep things at 18C for the rest of fermentation.

Cheers,

Christina.

PS You could use US-05, but I'd rehydrate and ferment that at 18C too, or at least not >20C.

I wasn't aware of that, but in that case I would suggest not using the APA yeast as it complicates things and will probably end up throwing some off flavours. Back to rehydrating the supplied yeast or making a starter methinks.

so i decided to use both yeasts (before reading christinas post)

I rehydrated at around 30c(boiling water brought down, then added yeast, let sit, stirred etc) and it went into the FV at around 27c and now the brew is working its way down in the FV/fridge to 19c instead of the 21c.

Hopefully it works itself out...or ill just throw enough hops in to mask any bad flavours :/

that been said the 2 brews i did using the standard kit yeasts worked out fine when fermented at mid 20's so who knows *shrugs shoulders*

that been said the 2 brews i did using the standard kit yeasts worked out fine when fermented at mid 20's so who knows *shrugs shoulders*

The 'right' way and the way that works are sometimes the same, and sometimes different.

Aim for the right way but don't stress too much, because end results matter more than methods.

Archived