Coopers Community

Another fail

gonewrong

The lager kit itself isn't so much the issue, and the ferment temp won't affect head retention, it's what was added to the kit in the fermenter, if anything. I'm assuming it would be BE1 since that's what comes with the kits*. Given the amount of maltodextrin in it, it should promote head retention somewhat although it's mostly driven by proteins found in malt. Try adding 1kg light dry malt to the kit on your next batch and see if it's better, and try to get the temp down around the low 20s if possible.

*Kits here is referring to the whole thing with the fermenter and bottles etc. not just the tin.

Adding 1kg light malt to the kit what effect would this have on the alcohol content. The reason I ask Otto is you say adding 500g of light malt to the kit would bring the alcohol % up to 4.6' date=' 5%. Thanks mate, Archie.

[/quote']It depends if anything else was added. If you just use the kit and 1kg of light dry malt, you'll probably get something around 4.4-4.6% ABV depending on how low the FG is. Adding another 500g LDM on top of that would increase the ABV by probably about 0.8%, so you'll end up around 5.2-5.4% ABV.

Adding 1kg light malt to the kit what effect would this have on the alcohol content. The reason I ask Otto is you say adding 500g of light malt to the kit would bring the alcohol % up to 4.6' date=' 5%. Thanks mate, Archie.

[/quote']It depends if anything else was added. If you just use the kit and 1kg of light dry malt, you'll probably get something around 4.4-4.6% ABV depending on how low the FG is. Adding another 500g LDM on top of that would increase the ABV by probably about 0.8%, so you'll end up around 5.2-5.4% ABV.

Thank you sir, I have to be careful as the good lady likes one or 2 beers. She is no longer the sweet little thing I married quite a few years ago, carrying her upstairs to bed would be quite an achievement these days. Archie.

Depends if you want it higher in ABV and a bit more malty? At the end of the day you can add whatever you like to the kits, you don't have to stick to what it says on the side of the tin. I daresay most of us don't stick to the tin recommendations actually... using malt, and adding steeped grains and hops makes for a lot nicer beers than brew enhancers on their own do.

Archived