Coopers Community

Gravity

Grumpy Doug

• 3 months later...

Gravity is an illusion caused by lack of beer (that was actually one of the Physics department T-Shirts an my uni.)

Wine is supposed to always be made solely from grape juice - perhaps they are rephrasing that they only brew from freshly mashed wort?

Yeah, but no-one likes water in their beer - unless the choices are letting rain get in your beer or not drinking.

I don't speak any Korean, and it may just be that "pure" translates as "free."

I drank a bunch of this at a restaurant in K-town and it was great. I think it's just a dumb mistranslation that's been regurgitated from the importer by the Australian retailers; the Korean webpage phrases it like this (using google translate):

The original gravity method is a manufacturing method that puts 100% fermented undiluted solution into the product in addition to the fermented beer stock solution, and is adopted by the premium beer of countries that pursue Germany and authentic beer.

Hard to say without knowing Korean and it might just be pseudotechnical garbage anyway. But it sounds like they're just talking about not diluting the beer once it's fermented. Unless the reference is to krausening... (edit: actually, that makes a lot of sense)

• 1 month later...
I drank a bunch of this at a restaurant in K-town and it was great. I think it's just a dumb mistranslation that's been regurgitated from the importer by the Australian retailers; the Korean webpage phrases it like this (using google translate):

The original gravity method is a manufacturing method that puts 100% fermented undiluted solution into the product in addition to the fermented beer stock solution' date=' and is adopted by the premium beer of countries that pursue Germany and authentic beer.[/quote']

Hard to say without knowing Korean and it might just be pseudotechnical garbage anyway. But it sounds like they're just talking about not diluting the beer once it's fermented. Unless the reference is to krausening... (edit: actually, that makes a lot of sense)

I just re read this and realised they are saying they add unfermented wort to the finished beer! It would work provided it was pasterurised, but you are going to end up with a pretty sweet, malty beer.

The original gravity method is a manufacturing method that puts 100% fermented undiluted solution into the product in addition to the fermented beer stock solution' date=' and is adopted by the premium beer of countries that pursue Germany and authentic beer.[/quote']

I just re read this and realised they are saying they add unfermented wort to the finished beer! It would work provided it was pasterurised, but you are going to end up with a pretty sweet, malty beer.

I do think they're talking about krausening - you're kind of right, but that unfermented wort is added at the end as it's becoming active, and allowed to ferment out. It helps finish the beer off in a traditional manner.

Archived