Coopers Community

YEASTS: A homebrewer's guide to strains one must try and probably should avoid.

ignition.

I can't age mine in cold storage at the moment which is a bit of a shame, because they get kegged cold, then warm up, then get chilled again when it's time to carb them up. Preferably they would just stay cold the whole time from when the FV is chilled, but I don't have the room for yet another fridge unfortunately. Maybe one day. I also don't have the self control to leave the keg alone if it was in the kegerator lol.

They are still a bit nicer after this few weeks at ambient than they are if I'd have put them on tap straight away, however they still improve further while on tap and cold. If or when I get a dedicated keg storage fridge it will be interesting to compare one kept cold vs. one allowed to age at ambient temps. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

• 4 weeks later...
G'Day' date=' what yeast do people recommend for the coopers draught (currently using US05) and for a coopers lager?? still learning the differences[/quote']What style of beer are you making with the Draught tins? Draught itself isn't a style of beer, it's a serving method. I suppose the lager tin could be used to brew any style too... US-05 is an American ale yeast best suited to American pale ales and IPAs, although it can be used to make faux lagers when fermented around 16C. If you want to make a true lager, then you'd need a true lager yeast, such as W34/70, and ideally fermented around 10-12C. If fermenting this low then you should ideally pitch 2-3 packets. RE-hydrate the yeast in water for optimal yeast health, there are a few threads on how to do this.

Archived