Coopers Community

Yeast suggestion for hefe or kristal?

prof_grainbrain

I'm waiting to sample bottle-conditioned Dunkel and Munich lagers that I fermented using Saflager W-34/70, which apparently is the Weihenstephan yeast. Visited the brewery and tasted the beers a couple of months ago, I'm a huge fan (especially Dunkel and Korbinian) so am keen to see if the final result is as good as the bottling samples.

I really liked what White Labs WLP351 Bavarian Weizen did in a Dunkelweizen I made back in November 2015. It had that nice soft, pillowy mouthfeel and tasted more on the spicy end rather than banana and bubblegum. It produced a lot of sulfur during fermentation, which dissipated before bottling after 3 weeks total in the fermenter.

For that batch, I repitched slurry from a Kumquat Hefeweizen. Two things spoiled the Kumquat Hefe, 1) the kumquats and 2) I bottled too early, before all the sulfur dissipated. But a little more patience with the Dunkelweizen worked out very well.

If I were to brew another weizen again, I would definitely be tracking down this yeast again. I liked it much better than the hefeweizen and dunkelweizen I brewed with White Labs WLP300 the year before that.

Cheers,

John

Archived