Coopers Community

brewing vinegar on purpose

ChristinaS1

Hi folks,

Here in New Brunswick our apple harvest is fast approaching and I am trying to think of ways to use them. Besides making hard apple cider, I have been considering trying to make apple cider vinegar. Been doing a little reading. Has anyone tried it? I am interested in your experience.

To make vinegar, you apparently you make hard apple cider first, with wild yeast, and then transfer it to a wide mouth glass jar, cover it with a piece of paper towel secured with a string or elastic, and just wait. Eventually "Mother of Vinegar" will form spontaneously from airborne bacteria and yeast. A fellow apple enthusiast has an unusual apple: its flesh is completely red, almost are red as a beet. Thought that would make a pretty vinegar. I gathered some today. This will be my first (intentional) wild ferment.

Cheers!

Christina.

Alpaca Brew: your name is Peggy? Hey, another woman! Neat! happy

Piments? Are they peppers? Sounds like a fabulous idea! happy I'd be interested to hear how you do this. Is this powdered cayenne? Jalapeno? Do you use a dehydrator?

Cheers!

Christina.

Hello,

I slice my apples as thin as possible without the core. Sprinkle "Tajin" it is a chili and lime powder on one side then put them in my dehydrator. I have Sedona and can dry nine trays at a time. Great for snacks and in an air tight jar they stay crisp. I use Tajin but you can use any piment powder you like.

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just letting anyone who is interested know that I put on a 23L of cider today, which I juiced myself, from my own apples. In about a month I will be adding vinegar bacteria to it that I am culturing up from a bottle of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. In time I hope to bottle the stuff and sell it at the farmer's market. At some point in the future I am going to make a stout vinegar.

Cheers!

Christina.

Hope it works!

I sell red and white wine vinegar in our local farmer's markets along with other things. The starter(mother) for the red wine is from before 1968. We made our own white wine starter in 2000. Every summer I pour off 1liter bottles of red and white vinegar and add strawberries, raspberries, cherries, basil or other herbs I think would make a good vinegar. I let it sit for a year then filter the vinegar into 25cl recycled beer bottles and sell them. The raspberry and basil sell the best.

Did you ever try the apples with piments?

Good luck,

Peggy

Hope it works!

I sell red and white wine vinegar in our local farmer's markets along with other things. The starter(mother) for the red wine is from before 1968. We made our own white wine starter in 2000. Every summer I pour off 1liter bottles of red and white vinegar and add strawberries' date=' raspberries, cherries, basil or other herbs I think would make a good vinegar. I let it sit for a year then filter the vinegar into 25cl recycled beer bottles and sell them. The raspberry and basil sell the best.

Did you ever try the apples with piments?

Good luck,

Peggy

[/quote']

Hi Peggy. You make vinegar too? Wow, what a co-incidence! It seems you and I have a lot in common! biggrin

I was able to locate some Tajin and tried it on some fresh apple slices, but I wasn't crazy about it. I looked into dehydrators, but the good ones are expensive. Then I talked to the Public Health Department, who would be inspecting me at the market, and they said that I might have to keep the dehydrated slices chilled as they might not be 100% dry, and could grow mold. It sounded too complicated, so now I am sticking to vinegar. As a high acid product, there are no food safety concerns.

If you don't mind me asking, how many liters of vinegar do you sell in a year? Am I right in understanding that you make the wine yourself too? Interesting that the raspberry and basil sell the best. Do you use the surface process? I am going to use the generator process; I am building the generator myself. I hope it works! Cheers! -Christina.

Long story short we buy and sell wine. I live in France and we sell growlers of wine like they sell beer in the US. We sell about 50 L of vineger a year. Our mother does her work in a fv of 30l. We take off the top until we have about 10l left and refill and let it rest for 6 to 8 months or maybe a year depending on the taste of the vinegre.

I try not to steess the starter and if I do not have enought vineger it is ok with me. I am looking for quality.

Peggy

Archived