Coopers Community

CO2

Gag Halfrunt

Was browsing ebay looking at kegging stuff etc including beer gas and came across someone flogging what looked like a fire extinguisher as a bottle of beer gas.

Which lead me to thinking...apart from the container,whats the difference between co2 in a fire extinguisher and a beer gas cylinder?

Was browsing ebay looking at kegging stuff etc including beer gas and came across someone flogging what looked like a fire extinguisher as a bottle of beer gas.

Which lead me to thinking...apart from the container' date='whats the difference between co2 in a fire extinguisher and a beer gas cylinder? [/quote']

I saw the same one and had to laugh.

I'm really not sure if it could/should be used, but I'm thinking there's a different processing method for food grade and industrial. The photo made the whole deal look a bit dodgy.

There are a few cats who use fire extinguishers as CO2 cylinders for beer. As I understand it, the food grade gas has been purified more than the industrial grade.

It's a moot point for me anyway, I have a CO2 cylinder from a brew shop not far from me so it's easy enough to go and swap when needed, about once a year or so.

There are a few cats who use fire extinguishers as CO2 cylinders for beer. As I understand it' date=' the food grade gas has been purified more than the industrial grade.

It's a moot point for me anyway, I have a CO2 cylinder from a brew shop not far from me so it's easy enough to go and swap when needed, about once a year or so. [/quote']

Yeah, might not take the risk when I keg.

Dont see the point of pinching fire extinguishers or even worse buying them on ebay when a cylinder of real beer gas lasts about a year.

Just thought Id ask.

Well, well ,well.....three holes in the ground. It would appear there are some risks you could be taking by using the industrial CO2.

The following from a Google search;

"The slight difference between industrial-grade CO2 and food-grade CO2 is the type of tests that are done to qualify CO2 as beverage or beer gas-grade compared to industrial-grade. Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. The other .09% is made up of impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen. Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure CO2, also containing impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen.

One impurity that all homebrewers should be aware of is benzene. Benzene is a no-no for homebrewers. If the CO2 that you are purchasing has high benzene levels, it will leave you and fellow drinkers with terrible headaches. When I say high levels, we are not talking about much. Benzene is usually an impurity that is referred to in PPB. The benzene level should be around 20 PPB."

Benzene = carcinogen.

Still though, we are surrounded by cars, trucks, etc spewing out bad stuff 24/7 whch we breath in regardless, so......

Well' date=' well ,well.....three holes in the ground. It would appear there are some risks you could be taking by using the industrial CO2.

The following from a Google search;

[i']"The slight difference between industrial-grade CO2 and food-grade CO2 is the type of tests that are done to qualify CO2 as beverage or beer gas-grade compared to industrial-grade. Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. The other .09% is made up of impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen. Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure CO2, also containing impurities such as hydrocarbons or nitrogen.

One impurity that all homebrewers should be aware of is benzene. Benzene is a no-no for homebrewers. If the CO2 that you are purchasing has high benzene levels, it will leave you and fellow drinkers with terrible headaches. When I say high levels, we are not talking about much. Benzene is usually an impurity that is referred to in PPB. The benzene level should be around 20 PPB."[/i]

Benzene = carcinogen.

Still though, we are surrounded by cars, trucks, etc spewing out bad stuff 24/7 whch we breath in regardless, so......

Alcohol = carcinogen as well

Archived