Coopers Community

Tricks for Mexican Cerveza

Trusty1

Hi Brewmasters

I am about ready to bottle my Stout (that has BE2 and an extra 500gms of dry malt) and have bought a MV kit along with the recommended bag of BE2.

Are there any tricks, tips, do's and don'ts with this kit? Should I just add the BE2 (and yeast, of course) and run with it? Is the clear bottle a gimmick, does the bottle matter?

Any advice gladly accepted.

Trusty

Hi Trusty I added some extra fermentables (see below) to my last mexican. It turned out pretty good for a non-offensive summer beer.

Cerveza II

\u2022 Coopers Mexican 1.7kg

\u2022 1kg Brew Enhancer 2

\u2022 Extra 350g Light Dry Malt

\u2022 Extra 250g DEX

I would give the clear bottles a miss. If you do use them make sure you keep them in the dark or they'll become light struck (Is that the right terminology?). It's easier and safer to stick brown or dark bottles in my opinion.

• 10 months later...

Nathan - That will depend on how healthy the yeast is as well as how warm it is brewing at. If the yeast is very healthy and brewed at a warmer temperature it could be done within 7 days although I am not sure how nice it will taste.

Trusty - I done the same brew with 20g of Saaz dry hopped into the primary and a couple of limes in it. If I was to do it again I would probably only use the one lime as it is very strong with lime.

Hey Trusty

I made a coopers mexican a few months back and used a larger yeas tcant remember what type but it came out Fantastic. I brewed it at 12 degrees one of the best beers i.ve made. Only problem was i kegged it and it didnt have any head retention. But maybe thats why i.ve never seen corona on tap before

If you keg your beer you can actually brew the beer in a keg and near the end of fermentation cap the keg to naturally carbonate the beer .This is similar to what breweries do in stainless steel vessels .

http://www.terifahrendorf.com/Closed-Pressurized-Fermenatation.pdf

You can also do this with beer you start in a fermenter and want to keg early but you might end up with a lot of yeast in the bottom of the keg so you will need to draw off the yeast and then transfer to a second keg .Also make sure you double purge the keg with CO2 to minimize any oxygen pickup ,

If you keg your beer you can actually brew the beer in a keg and near the end of fermentation cap the keg to naturally carbonate the beer .This is similar to what breweries do in stainless steel vessels .

Matt, I don't know of any brewers who do this at home, do you?

We certainly don't recommend this method - it's best to transfer the beer from the primary fermenting vessel to a pressure vessel.

Hey guys, I have brewed 3 batches since this post. the first 2 were, in other peoples words, great beers. I tried one from my 3rd batch tonight after about 4 weeks in the bottle, I used a lager yeast for this one and brewed it around the 14-15C mark. It was really fruity, I had to think hard if I actually put some real fruit in there. It was ok, but I think time in the bottle will definitely see the best of this beer come out.

Archived