Coopers Community

Extract Expiration/ "Use By" ??

Motley Brue

I also posted this in beer banter, so I'm not sure which thread I should post in, but I received a couple of cans of Coopers extract with "use by" dates of 2007 and 2008. Can I still use them, or just toss them out? Hopefully I can still use them, but wasn't sure how an old can would affect the beer. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Gary

Jacksonville, Fl.

Hi Gary - I've never used an out of date kit myself but there are people who say go for it and others who'll say chuck it out. I'd probably throw them out myself.

If you do use them make sure you buy some new yeast. It'd always make a good experiment even if it doesn't turn out too good.

Thanks Muddy,

I may give it a try. I've heard that the beer will come out darker, but taste should be ok. And probably get new yeast.

You're in Australia? Just wondering...with a name like Muddy Waters? Anyways, thanks again for your thoughts.

PS...Remember an Aussie group called Skyhooks?

Gary in Florida

Hey Gary - Yeah I remember the Skyhooks (Lowers head in shame). Don't blame me I wasn't involved.

Muddy Waters is what my friends and I always called Cooper's Sparkling ale when we were youngsters (of drinking age of course!). So I thought it was appropriate when signing up for a Cooper's website.

Another question Muddy,

I have two Coopers extracts and am supposed to add sugar to the wort. However the kit came with 1kg brewing sugar and 1kg Brew Enhancer1. Do I use one in one batch and the other in the other batch? Or do I use one in both and get some more sugar for the second batch. Kind of confusing, getting two cans of extarct and two bags, one brewing sugar, the otherbrew enhancer? Thanks again.

Gary

I have a Coopers Brew Kit, and was just given two cans of extract....Canadian Blond (2007...expiration) and Coopers Lager (2008)

I have two Coopers extracts and am supposed to add sugar to the wort. However the kit came with 1kg brewing sugar and 1kg Brew Enhancer1. Do I use one in one batch and the other in the other batch? Or do I use one in both and get some more sugar for the second batch.

Hi Gary - I should point out that I am in know way an expert and have only been brewing for a year but I'll have a stab at your question.

I would think that you would add the brewing sugar to the lager and the BE1 to the Canadian. I suspect this would be the way to use them in a "by the book kind of way". As the kits are out of date I'd probably do it this way and see how it turns out. When you've got some fresh kits and ingredients you can start playing around with the ingredients.

Hey Gary,

I'm with Muddy when he says buy new yeast.

The lead singer of Skyhooks used to host a childrens show called Shirl's Neighbourhood when I was a little tacker.

Their music is still good though! Don't hang the head in shame fellas.

Gary, you are breaking one side of the beer triangle.

Beer kits and malt extract (liquid) will darken and develop stewed, cloying characters over time - this is accelerated with elevated temperatures. This is why we have the words store in a cool place on the side of the can.

These characters carry through to the finished beer - it may be okay with kits that are designed to be dark (dark ale and stout) but it doesn't suit lighter beer styles.

If you are determined to ferment an old kit, as others have said, be sure to get fresh yeast.

Thanks PB2. I'm at a crossroads. I have never tried a Coopers extract and am anxious to try one. But I don't want my perception skewed and get a "bad taste in my mouth" because of an older can of extract, so if I do decide to try one I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm leaning towards the Lager, since it has a 2008 use by stamp, and using fresh yeast. But I am concerned if will end up pissing in the wind, so to say. Will the flavor be seriously altered, or mainly the color?

One more thing, I assume the carbonating tablets and sugars that came with this kit are just as old. Are they fine to use?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Gary\\Jacksonville, Florida

PS...Long live AC/DC....Very big here in the States...I love em as well, but must admit I'm still a Bon fan.

PPS...I'm enjoying the correspondence with all you Aussies down under.

Flavour and aroma will be seriously' date=' that's SERIOUSLY, altered.[/quote']

Whew. Since it will be SERIOUSLY altered, I will refrain. I just hate to see two cans of good extract go to waste.

But I see where Coopers takes great pride in their product, I feel a disservice if I tried them and then hated it. So..to the trash bin they go (tears following)

Thanks for all the input. I certainly don't want my first batch of Coopers to be a bad one.

I'll still be stalking these boards just to keep an eye on you Aussies :). I am a Canadian living in America, and have tried many brews. The only ones we get here are Fosters...the oil cans and an odd six pack. Take care.

Archived