Coopers Community

Emptying Coopers Sparkling Ale Longnecks

Trusty1

g'day Brewers

I am waiting for my 2nd batch of brew to finish it's ferocious fermenting (a stout with BE#2 and 500gms dry malt extract) so I can bottle it. Emptying these bloody longnecks to reuse is almost killing me ~ uuggh! (CAN TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING KILL YOU?) I only started brewing 2 weekends ago, and I have enough longies for 2 batches!! Which takes me to another issue - when there is a sale on at any particular bottle'o, why are the longnecks not reduced to the corresponding discounted price?? bludgers! Do most of you use the longnecks or PET bottles, and is everyone happy with their choice?

On another topic, has anyone produced a chilli beer? If so how was it and at what stage was the chilli added and what type of chilli was used? i am very keen to try, so if there are no replys i might just do one and let you all know.

Thanks

Trusty

PS - and to anyone who has read my other post abour finnings, no i hadn't had one beer when i went took a spill down the (wet and slippery) back steps carrying the wort!

G'day Trusty,

My favourite bottles are the Cooper's longnecks. I am gradually building up a decent collection although the way you are going you'll have more than enough soon. I am starting to use PET bottles more too. I tend to mix it up between the Cooper's longnecks, the PETs and Grolsch flip top bottles. I also have a heap of Toohey's Old & Hahn Premium stubbies which I get from my old man - but I am phasing them out as I use them.

I guess the longnecks don't go on sale because they aren't as popular for the average drinker. I tend to just buy three bottles occasionally - I scavenge the rest out of the recycling.

I live for chili and eat spicy food religiously (Until recently my wife and I lived Thailand and didn't have much choice) but haven't made a chili beer. I've tasted them and found them nothing special. I am considering adding a couple to my next ginger beer though.

I haven't read the latest in your finings thread but will head that way for a read now - (Is it the thread where you wanted to clear up a stout??? ;)

I hear ya Trusty!

Ive got a good stock of long necks now but not heaps! For most of my brews i bottle a carton of stubbies about three in pets and the rest long necks! The only reason i bottle some in pets is cause /i have a fear that one day all my bottles will expload! and i will be left with no beer! :( I have had no explosions yet! Fingers crossed!

I have found a carton of long necks at some places can be $10 more expensive then the stubbies! :(

I have been using stubbies so far, but this is only cause my old man drinks enough to keep me in good supply. I would go to longnecks if i could get hold of more but then again stubbies are a little more practicle. haven't used PET bottles as yet probly cause i'm not a real fan of plastic and beer together.

I keg my brews and use PETs as take-aways or for people at work who want to try my creations. I use 750ml Coopers glass for brews intended to be aged more than 12mths or as a special presentation to someone (including labels knocked up with the labelmaker application).

Archived