Coopers Community

Kegging Beer versus Bottles

James D

I put all my beer in kegs and introduce Co2 and have a fridge in my man cave. Looking for people that also do this and can help me get Co2 into the keg quicker. I ifnd I don't get good head on my beer until the keg is half gone.

James,

do what paul said mate! check the FAQ'S!

but ill share my experiences with ya :

I BLOODY FIND THE KEG IS BETTER N GIVES BETTER HEAD IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE KEG!!( dont know why?)

i get GOOD results with:

chill keg for 24hrs then gas at 240kpa for 24 hrs and have a pour pressure of about 105kpa! (keep in mind you will have to find your ideal pour pressure mate, length of beer line varies the pour pressure!).

funny you ask that question about 2nd half of keg! i asked it in here about 2 years ago!

if im kegging in summer i naturally carbonate using household sugar!(ROOM TEMP IS HIGH ENOUGH FOR YEAST TO EAT SUGAR IN KEG IN SUMMER!)

paul and frank from coopers naturally carbonate always!!

use somewhere between 1/4 n 1/3 of a cup of household sugar, tip in keg then fill with beer!!

hope this helps mate, i remember stressin big time when i first got kegs and the ladies in here had to listen to me bitch n moan....they also helped a little! :)))

cheers

matt

Sorry buddy, I'm a force kegger too, but I reckon it's too easy to overcarb by rocking and shaking the crap out of it!

Better to be patient and gas at pouring pressure and temp for about 10 days. Not what you wanted to hear, I know!

G\u2019day James

I\u2019ve followed Paul\u2019s advice to naturally carbonate my kegs. According the Bobby on this website \u2013

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

Even if you force carbonate at a higher pressure it still takes a couple of weeks for the pressure to stabilize.

I turn the gas off when I\u2019m not using it and it still seems to over carbonate after a few weeks, as the beer absorbs more CO2. And I have to de-pressurise to prevent excessive foaming.

Hi James,

If you leave the gas on the beer at pouring pressure, the dissolved co2 in solution equalizes with the pressure of the headspace. So, you can't overcarb the beer even if you leave the gas on at pouring pressure! It's called Henry's Law.

Hey Tricky,

On the Aussie Home Brewer forum there's a link to balancing your keg system. It worked for me 1st go!

I'm using 6mm ID line with John Guest fittings, so I needed 3 metres of line and about 10-12psi for pouring/gassing.

Archived