Coopers Community

Coopers Canadian Blonde

talltwits

Haha, indeed!

I would actually say 10 degrees is probably pushing it! More like 4!!

But yes I'll will be sure to bring them back into the kitchen at about 18 degrees! It's going to be an expensive central heating bill this month haha!

On the other hand I took the final bottle I had put in the fridge last night. So it had been in over 24 hours. And what a significant improvement. As I started to pour I could see a marked improvement in fizz. Then I have the pet bottle a wee shake and poured the rest in! There was a great head on it and the taste was way much smoother than last night bottle!

It seems to be going in the right direction still!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the gas had time to absorb properly into the beer by leaving it in the fridge for longer. But yes I would move them back to the 18C environment for another week or two just to ensure the priming sugar is completely fermented. It probably is already really, I mean, two weeks for 6g of sugar in a bottle should be heaps of time, but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.

Hi Talltwits,

Great advice from the others on conditioning/carbonation, your not alone though - a recent brew of mine I found didn't carbonate very well in the recommended 2 weeks @ 22 deg, most were quite flat, at 3 weeks they are very much better and I expect them to improve a little further still, yet most other brews that have been fine @ 2 weeks ???? guess the yeasties must dictate carbonation speed.

Considering your ambient temp in Scotland an idea you could try for conditioning that might help keep you heating bill down is what my Father in NZ does to heat his FV in winter ... he has built a lightly insulated cabinet which is heated with a couple of ordinary light globes hooked up to a temp controller. An old fridge would probably work well as a cabinet and even has pre-installed racks.

Yeah, I used my fermenting fridge occasionally in winter to keep ale batches warm once bottled, for the first 2-3 weeks. Then I decided I'd brew lagers instead so I didn't have to bother doing this. lol

Anyway, what I did was use one of my Erlenmeyer flasks. Filled it 3/4 full with water, boiled it on the stove, then stuck it on the floor of the fridge (on a towel) and closed the door. 12 hours or so later I'd take the flask out and re-boil it, and repeat. It did make it rather humid inside the fridge, but I was able to get it up to about 27C by doing this. Then I just left it to drop back to 18ish before boiling the flask again. Once the bottles were removed of course, I let the fridge air out and cleaned it up. Obviously you'd need a fridge and a flask to do this though... tongue

The bottles have been suitably been moved back into the 18 degrees utility room!

Well I was thinking about starting another post with suggestions from You fine people about how to keep the brew warm. Which I'm sure would test your knowledge as I'm sure you main task is to keep it cool! I like your suggestion doing something similar to your dad!

I had a few ideas - converting an old chest of drawers with a heater plugged into a thermostat. Or what about even a small tent/minigreenhouse type thing!

Maybe a topic for another post though.

Archived