Coopers Community

Very cloudy

D-Lock

Hey all, I have just done my 2nd coopers cerveza brew, using BE2 as it says. only this time when i get some out to test with the hydrometer it looks VERY cloudy and seems to have little "floaties" the last batch didnt do this, it was cloudy but not this bad. still tastes and smells fine though? should i just bottle it up and wait or do i have an infected brew and im wasting my time??

D-Lock when i take my firt test i fill my tets tube and poor it down the sink then fill it up again to take the test. I do this because i find the first time i open up the tap it holds a lot of the thick gunk that sits at the bottom of the brew and could affect my reading.

A famous man once said ":f it smells like beer, and it tastes like beer, it probably is beer"

I agree with the comments above ... it's worth bottling.

Remembering I'm a rank amatuer compared to some of the HB afficianados on this forum, there's some things you can do to reduce the floaties, which may (or may not) appear in your bottled beer when ready to drink:

Once fermentation is complete you can chill it down to 2 -5 deg C for a couple of days to drop out the big bits, or

Rack it - transfer to another container leaving most of the sediment behind, and keeping it chilled, drop out the rest, or

drop some finnings in. Made from fish bladders or something bizzare like that, the chemical properties are such that they encourage floaties to come out of suspension and drop to the bottom of your fermenter, without affecting the brews flavour, aroma or any other property. You add a $2 pack of this stuff a day or 2 before bottling, again when fermentation is largely done.

Interested to hear what you do (or don't do) and what result you get when drinking time comes along.

Yeast doesn't always behave in the same manner.

You might like to give it a day or two longer in the fermenting tub then bottle and let condition. It should clear in the bottle.

If clear beer is a priority, with future brews you might like to take up some of Catpaw's suggestions.

Clear beer isnt priority. i dont mind a bit of cloudyness, adds character! i was just freaking out becasue the last cerveza didnt do it. i ended up just leaving the brew in the tub for 3 days after fermentation was finished. got some into the tube on the day of bottling and it was fairly clear and tasted great so in the bottles she went! ill get back in about a month when i try one. then the rest are going into storage until the summer.

Archived