Coopers Community

where to buy additional yeast sachets

CATpAW Brewing

one for you Paul

When putting down some higher ABV% brews I want to be able to pitch extra yeast. In the past I have purchased a couple of sachets of branded yeast, and set aside the yeast that has come with the Coopers can, then being able to double up on the Coopers sachets on a later batch.

However, I would like to stick with the Coopers strains as I prefer their flavour profiles (and dependability), rather than using other types/brands.

At the same time I'm not keen on culturing my own yeast.

Ideally I would like to be able to buy extra sachets, but my local HBS doesn't have them.

Any suggestions on how I could obtain extra sachets, either by post or from somewhere in Brissie?

The sachets that come with the kits are not sold separately in Australia. I asked the same question in my first year at Coopers and I was given a very good reason why the are not - but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Perhaps circumstances have changed so I will revisit this with my boss.

It's not difficult to stockpile yeast if you are making beer on a regular basis.

Just a matter of harvesting about 500ml of slurry from a brew and pitching it into the next one.

If you are not making another brew immediately keep the slurry in the fridge (up to a week is okay). Pull it out a few hours prior, allowing it to warm to brew temp.

This can be done a number of times (no more than 5 for me).

Each pitching will increase the amount of wild yeast and other bacteria (may slightly reduce attenuative ability too) so make sure to check the smell (looking for fresh fruity aromas) prior to pitching.

Archived