Coopers Community

drop grain into fermenter

THIRSTY MATT

paul!!!

i need ya mate!!

i dropped about 200grams of carapils pils grain into the fermenter......the siv done a backflip!

i was making a light beer....coopers euro with 100g dex, n 250g carapils grain, 2 times euro yeasts at 23 degrees.(temp will lower slowly over 24hrs)

whats my beer gonna be like with that much grain in it????

also paul,over the years i have noticed that you never recommend steeping grain to kit brewers much (or ever).....any reason????

cheers

matt

Nothing wrong with using grain. Although, it's another step that can lead to a spoilt brew. :roll: Steep the grains, strain, then bring the liquid to the boil :wink:

If the grain has dropped into the brew and you haven't killed off enzymes, wild yeast and other bacteria with heat - the brew may become very funky very quickly!!

now im scared....i used hot water to steep n not boiling water, and i didnt do the after boil!!!!

ya didnt say 'tip it"......so i wont!!

will let ya all know of progress as a learning curve!!

THANKS PAUL!!!

matt

then again......i put the boiling water in after the grains fell in :D .......pray for my brew anyway people!

hi all,

paul......does the yeasts with the euro lager usually give off sulfur smell?

or is it the wild yeasts that fell in with my grain???

its putting off about the same amount of sulfur as an s-23, and the temp has been lowered to 14 degrees!!

cheers

matt

For what it's worth and not sure it is, given I am no where near as adventurous you guys are at with experimenting...................but I have used the Euro lager on a number of occasions myself and have never had a sulphur or should I say "farty" smell as you so eloquently describe Josh :), when doing so.

Perhaps it is the extra yeasts dropped in that is causing this?

so the back flippin'siv thought it could outsmart me hey!!

nuttin like bunnings for a good GRAIN FILTERER!!

posted in pics below is what i used to filter the grain, cost ten bucks, photos aint great as me phone/ camera only cost about the same......im proud of this one, its an irrigation filter and sum syphon hose.....

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5811/image014e.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/4080/image015jzf.jpg

cheers

matt

p.s. the white thing in the photos is the filter a lil plastic basket type cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...

i would just like to thank all those that prayed for my beer.

your prayers were worthwhile as im now drinking my..... VERY TASTY EURO LIGHT!!!!!!

IT TURNED OUT AS GOOD AS A LIGHT BEER CAN BEER!!

I lagered it for a week or so in the fridge then kegged n gassed it pretty much straight off.

great light beer! ive had 5 schooners n although im happy, i could still drive n get a kebab!!

cheers all

matt

p.s. seriously, i'd recommend coopers euro as a good light beer base if ya makin too 23 litres!!!!

Great to hear that it turned out well! :mrgreen:

I know you are probably not serious about the "drive to get a kebab" remark.....but....

Please don't get too confident about the amount you can drink while still being under the limit. We emphasise that calculating % alcohol is approximate, very approximate!

You might think you are drinking a 2.8% beer when, in fact it is as high as 3.3%.

great to hear Matt!! The Euro is a great beer and have brewed it a number of times myself :)

Just kegged my Canadian blonde today and popped a bag of around 8 hot and slightly crushed and softened chillies from the garden, so am looking forward to tasting the result. :mrgreen:

Archived