Coopers Community

basic brewing

c43580

I have been brewing for a few years, but have only just recently started reading this forum. All I do is mix up my brew, and i only use homebrand sugar. It then go's in a temp controled box from one weekend till the next at about 25deg, bottle it with carb drops. Then i put the bottles back in the temp controled box for another week. Tastes good to me and the mates. How does that sound or could i do better

first thing mate.......use dextrose, light dry malt or other "fermentable sugars" and your beer will be even better!!

put 3 tallies in the fridge n come back n "hammer' this website whenever ya get time!!! (while drinkin ya tallies).

go through every window in the "homebrew " link,,,,adjuncts, recipes, whatever...but especially "search' this forum!! (search link up top of page you are reading).

...if ya still got questions ask away , someone will help or share an opinion or if its a tough one paul from coopers will help ya out!

cheers :D

matt

p.s. TEMP CONTROL IS GREAT!!!!

IT SUPRISES YA USE NORMAL SUGAR YET ARE SMART ENOUGH TO HAVE TEMP CONTROL! :D

Hi Brian!

Welcome to the forum mate! :wink:

If you're happy with what you're doing then don't change!

If you want to try something different, maybe try some dry malt extract instad of sugar? (Has Shepparton got a homebrew shop?)Coles has Coopers dry malt sometimes!

Are you looking for something more out of your brews? If so, any idea what aspects of the brew you might be trying to improve? Appearance, aroma, flavour, body, mouthfeel, finish?? or Are you simply looking for something different in the brew rather than an improvement as such?

If not, as Luke said...

Thanks boys, I will try dextrose next time, do you use it the same as sugar eg; 1kg or a bit less to drop the alcohol content. I like my brew just fine but i have never tried to do it any different. If i am not drinking home brew i would buy carlton draught, so a brew that tastes like that would be good.

If you get Coopers Dex it says on the back of the box what the aprox alc content will be if you make a 23 liter brew, Same with Brew enhancer 1 brew enhancer 2 and light dry malt. id give BE2 a crack!, or light dry malt (LDM) if ya want a mid stregth.

A brew that taste like Carlton Draught?......Just grab a glass, do a wee in it untill its half full then fill the other half up with water! :lol: :wink:

if your willing to experiment brian, try....i have made this before....

thomas coopers traditional draught (from homebrew store ) with 1kg of light dry malt.

this will go pretty close to carlton draught!!

if you dont have access to a homebrew store use coopers original draught from store with 1kg light dry malt!

but yeah,,, i guess the other boys was right, if ya like what ya making....why change!?

cheers

matt

hey Brian,

welcome to the forum. There will be no shortage of great advice from a community passionate about their home brew.

For me, the things that changed my "good" home brew to "sensational" home brew (using extract cans) were:

1. temperature control - which I note that you have in hand

2. an anal retentive approach to sterilisation - never had a bad batch since

3. hops - used Morgan's tea bags, then found compressed pellets, then stumbled across a broad range of hop flowers. The stunning flavour notes, ability to match commercial beers and the extra dimension provided by hops, particularly in flower form, never fails to impress me.

4. get as many opinions as you can, and "sort the wheat from the chaff". Be prepared to post dumb questions in forums. Recognise that anything you want to do, or any mistake or problem you have had, somone somewhere has been there and done that.

G'day Brain, Nice to have you on our board.

A wise man once said, "Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as his wife will allow."

With that in mind, you can make your beer taste, look, and feel better by putting more time and money into the brewing and the ingredients. However, it is not linearly proportional. So spending four times as much will not necessarily make the beer taste four times as good.

Given the money saved by brewing your own beer, it does not cost much more it you buy the Coopers brew enhancer packs. Coopers make the best malt extract in Australia, they use yeast that is as good as any dried yeast available. So using the brew enhancers along with the Coopers cans would do much to improve your beer.

You could also try using light malt extract instead of brewing sugars, and dry hopping your brew. Everyone you talk to has a different idea on what you should be doing. So it is good to be able to post you questions here, and get them answered by Coopers Home Brew expert Paul Burge (aka PB2) and others here. We have all come down the same road before you; so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

There are a number of basic recipes that work well at: http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/makeBeer.php

And lots of recipes and tips in the club newsletters:

http://www.coopers.com.au/club/default. ... newsletter

P.S. It's nice to have an alias so that we know who you are. Have a look at

http://www.coopers.com.au/club/phpbb/vi ... .php?t=734

Archived