Coopers Community

Detailed Cooper's Brew Can Descriptions

Muddy Waters

Hi all,

Does any body know if there is a thread or some kind of online resource available with detailed descriptions of the Cooper's home brew range. I know the Cooper's site lists the range with the suggested ingredients but I am after a bit more. I'd like to be able to find in one place what one can expect from each of the Cooper's range when brewed exactly as suggested on the can.

Basically, what I want to know at a minimum is:

-What the recommended additives are for each variety.

-The ideal pitching and brewing temp.

-The average expected alcohol content of the finished product.

Does anybody know if this info exists online? For example I am considering doing a cerveza in preparation for summer and can only find basic brwing instructions and am not sure what alcohol content to expect.

hey muddy,

i havent read one for a while mate but the lil round booklet ya get under the lid of ya can should tell ya all of the above.

ill stand to be corrected on this but, coopers recommend pitching all there yeasts (even the lager yeast forund in euro lager etc) at around 22-26 degrees n keeping it up there for at least the first 12hours.

if your doing a lager you can bring the temp down after you see some good fermentation signs like krausen ( gunky stuff around fermenter) or big bubble of condensation on inside of lid.

thats all i got mate, i had a crap day at work n i cant think too good!! :D

paul from coopers in away mate, luke or tricky or josh or someone may have more for ya !

cheers

matt

just had a another look at your post muddy....does this help?

paul once said that with the euro lager he was trying to go the style of "stella artois".

is that the sort of answer your after??

with the aussie bitter.. it was meant to be australias commercial bitters etc

grab a six pack n search the forum?

not quiet sure what ya after muddy?

type in what ya thinking of making n someone will give some flavour n stats!

cheers

matt

Thanks for the replies Matt.

I want something I can use for info before I buy a can and look at the instructions under the lid. What I was hoping for was an online resource that I can use to help me decide what to brew next with the info I mentioned in my opening post. I have searched the forum but can never really find what I'm looking for.

I pretty much know what to expect flavour wise but am not sure what the expected alcohol content is for each of the varieties in the Cooper's range.

OK!

EACH CONCENTRATE IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME!!!

the only thing that will really change your alcohol content is the "adjuncts" you add!

brewing sugar, light dry malt, brew enhancer 1 , brew enhancer two etc

OR

how many litres you make the beer up too!

if your trying to make a mid strength for example 500grams of light dry malt is highly recommended!

OR

1 kg of brew enhancer 2 too 25 litres...BUT PAUL DOESNT RECOMMEND THIS!

he reccommends ADDING LESS ADJUNCTS INSTEAD OF MAKING A LARGER BATCH.....OI I JUST THOUGHT OF SUMPIN....when ya look at the back of the box of "light dry' or "brew enahncer" that you buy it tells your APPROX alcohol content...

E.G. brew enhancer 1 : 1kg = 4.2%

750g=3.9%

500g=3.5%

what you have to remember is MALT AND MALTODEXTRIN DO NOT FERMENT OUT COMPLETELY!!

ok.......if you like a coopers recipe but just want too up the alcohol a bit you would add some "dextrose" as it ferments out completely n becomes alcohol!

ok so....next time your in the store deciding what to brew.....look at the can .."oh, pale ale,recommended to be made with BE2"

look at the back of the BE2 box and it will show you the approx alcohol content.

the concentrate is always 1.7kg of malt n hops!

its only what ya add that changes the alco level!

your best bet is just toss your ideas up in here....."HEY GUYS IM THINKIN OF MAKIN........."

i do it....someones always tried sumpin similar!

..........damn i can even talk beer all night when im tired!!!

hope i helped mate!

cheers

matt

p.s. i think what your looking for is like a beer bible!!!

not gonna happen dude jesus drinks wine!! :P :lol:

Thanks for mentioning me Matt! Makes me feel like i know what im doing! ;)

From what i know pitch all yeats ale, lager ect at mid to low 20s,........... of course make sure you bring the lager yeast down below 18c over the next 12 to 24 hrs.....

on the side of the can of coopers kits it has what the recomended sugar is BE1, BE2, LDM ect....... on the back of these sugar boxes it has the aprox alc content for a 23 lt brew.

I think i have answerd all three of your points Muddy!?

So Matt have i made a beer bible??? ;)

I got a mention too, Josh!!!

Muddy, I think Thirsty & Josh pretty much covered it!

Don't forget to add .5% alc for bottle priming.

I usually buy my dry malt extract in 5kg bags from the HB Shop (cause I use shite loads of it to make yeast starters & to top up the kettle if my gravity isn't right in an all-grain batch, as well as adding it to my Coopers kits)

I haven't used dextrose or maltdextrin for a long time, I just usually use 1kg dry malt with the kits. (If ya don't mind malty beers!)

I also add a bit of table sugar (not too much) if I want to bump up the alc content or to dry out the beer.

Sorry Paul, I'm not a great advert for the brew enhancers! :oops: But they are great to grab and not have to weigh out anything!

I always use my hydrometer to work out alc. content. (probably the thing I use the most!)

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've never used BE1 or BE2 (My local Big W isn't very good at keeping their home brew section stocked) so I've never never seen the back of the box. I tend to get my kits at my "not so local" home brew store and they have their LDM, dextrose etc in plain bags. It would be good if all the Coopers instructions (including the charts on BE1 & BE2) were available on their website in a bit more detail to utilise when thinking of ideas for my next brew.

I was really just looking for a list of info ONLINE that had the individual instructions for the Coopers range when brewed exactly as per instructions and what to expect from them in terms of alcohol percentage. I've done a lot of searching on this site and elsewhere and usually come away with more questions than answers.

EACH CONCENTRATE IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME!!

Do you mean what they add to the alcohol content Matt?

I've been looking around and, as far as I can tell, the kits itself adds around 2.4% to the final product. Does this sound right?

Sorry to get hung up on the alcohol content but I try to avoid mid strength beers (I'm a Sparkling Ale man at heart). Aside from the Sparkling I tend to like a beer around the 5% mark. I am gluten intolerent so I like to get my moneys worth from just a couple of beers if I can. :wink:

lol luke,

i just mentioned the regulars i could think of.....ross only comes in to take the piss outta people so..

yeah muddy, thats exactly what i mean mate there wouldnt be much in it.

did you know that there is now gluten free home brew kits?

they cost $56 but its cheaper than a ctn of o'briens.

...hope coopers dont mind me mentioning this!

i reckon 1kg of dextrose n 500g of light dry malt would give ya around 5%.??

i have a question for you muddy,

what is it in the beer that contains gluten?

does dextrose contain gluten as extra dextrose will get ya alcohol content happenin??

cheers

matt

Basically, grains, barley or wheat and the like contain gluten. Dextrose as far as I know doesn't.

I have tried gluten free beers and wasn't too impressed. I have always found that products that I should avoid such as bread, pasta etc. have gluten free alternatives. The problem is they always taste like crap. Kinda like substituting vodka for metho.

After years of avoiding beer (and food products containing gluten) I found that I could actually have them all in moderation which is much better than just cutting everything out completely. Unfortunately I still can't handle the darker beers though as I feel crook for days after drinking them (which means no Guinness for me - I hope I don't have to turn in my Irish passport!).

I'm still working my way through the Cooper's kits and haven't been doing much tweaking. I'm still bit hesitant to boost the alcohol content as I don't want ruin the flavour. Baby steps, baby steps.

ok....

shot in the dark from an amatuer...(me).......... darker beers seem to affect you more so making lighter ones seems the way to go!

i loved my strawberry blonde...coopers canadian blonde with brewenhancer one n honey!!

does honey have gluten?

if not , i recommend it its great!!

brew enhancer one has maltodextrin, this may have gluten? i think its a corn powder or sumpin?

try coopers canadian with 1.5 kg of dextrose (you can reseal the other half a bag with a rubber band, it will keep ok) and say 300-400grams of a "pale mellow honey".....(read the posts about honey to go further on this subject!)

i reckon that'd give ya about 5.2 - 5.5 %.

..............geez i hope dextrose n honey both dont have gluten, it could open you up to a whole lot more brewing styles!!

muddy when paul gets back mention it to him he might have some cool ideas.

cheers

matt

p.s. my sister has a gluten free kid muddy,,,she says honey has no gluten!!!!!!

Unfortunately I still can't handle the darker beers though as I feel crook for days after drinking them

Bummer! :(

Well, I wouldn't be using any extra dry malt then...

If you can only use dextrose your beers will all be pretty dry and thin (not much body).

Maybe experiment with hops for a bit of extra flavour?

FORGOT TO MENTION MUDDY,

there is gluten free yeasts around!

you probably already know this but DANSTAR make some good gluten free yeasts.

ive used there NOTTINGHAM ALE with a sparkling ale....its a very nuetral yeast,almost lagerish, but if you shopped around you might find a gluten free yeast that could really flavour up your beers!!!!

that is definately a question for paul mate, he has put me onto some good yeasts before!!

cheers

matt

lol luke,

i just mentioned the regulars i could think of.....ross only comes in to take the piss outta people so..

Whatta you mean?....who...huh?.........I'm deeply hurt :( ...........it's just that I can't do anything else very good....... :roll:

Archived