Coopers Community

Bavarian Lager

AussieJosh

G,day

I bet you thought you had seen the last of the Bavarian Lager posts! HA! :wink:

So i have myself a can of BL and intend to make the Burly Bavarian out of it. The cans best before date is 22/03/09. I dont think that will be to much of a problem do you? The yeast does not have a best before date on it, so would it be best if i went to my homebrew shop and got a new lager yeast? If so is there more then one type of Lager yeast? then what should i get?

In regards to Carbonation Drops, the site says 1 drop for 345-375 bottles. I would like to bottle my Lager in 330 european style pop top bottles to make it more authentic. will 1 carb drop be ok in these 330 ml bottles or will they expload!?

On the coopers site for the european Lager it says to leave the the beer in the bottle for at least 12 weeks before drinking, is it the same deal with Bavarian Lager?

Thanks to anyone that can give me some good advice! :D

An out of date Bavarian Lager, although you may have snapped it up for a bargain price, will probably be nearly as dark as Bitter! I wouldn't recommend it for making an "authentic" european style lager.

Over time, liquid malt extract darkens and develops cloying toffee, raisin-like characters. The process is accelerated with higher temperatures. These characteristics are carried through in the final beer. :(

You could use it as an adjunct to a dark beer. Perhaps make a "toucan brew" with the Bav and a can of stout.

The yeast will definitely be shot!

If using 330ml bottles - you can get a 3 bucket sugar scoop (330ml, 500ml, 750ml) or bulk prime - don't use carbo drops.

That makes me sad . being just a month out of date i thought it would be ok!?

A stout you say!? I like the idea of that! Being two cans of brew that would make it high alc right?

In your professional opinion would you recomend...

Coopers Origanl stout?

Coopers Irish stout?

Coopers Dark Ale?

What about adding somthing to it like Dark Malt Ecxtract? or would you just go with the normal BE1, BE2, LDM selection? anything else?

And would just the one yeast from the from the stout or Dark Ale be ok? or would i need two?

I think ill get myself a sugar scoop today!

Thanks for all ya Help!

Our advice, always, is to buy the freshest product available.

Hopefully, you like stout??

The Original Stout is most likely to mask (or complement, depending on your point of view) the out of date product.

Use the can of Bav, can of Stout, 300g of sugar mixed to 23 litres. Start the brew in the 18C-21C range and use the yeast from the stout + a sachet (11.5g or more) of ale yeast.

Thats a lot of yeast!

will just simple white sugar be ok!? cause i dont want to get 1kg coopers brew sugar and only use 300g.

This sounds like a fun experiment! i feel like im a scientist!

Thanks for all ya help mate! ill put it on later this week after i bottle my English bitter!

Is this one that i can try after two weeks in the bottle? or does it need longer?

Just put it on then!

As you said Paul I put the two cans in with 300g white sugar, the stout yeast, pluss15g of English Ale Yeast. the temp was about 24/25 when i put the yeast in.

I put it down in the Bar, the temp down there sits about 17/18c day and night atm. I just bought a heat pad the other day, do you think i will be needing it?

i shall name it........

BAVARIAN STOUT!

That will be a first will it not!? :wink:

Cheers Luke!

I just thought i would ask cause the Stout instructions say to keep it between 18 and 32 and cause it was hovering around 17/18 mark i thought id need to give it a little kick if it droped any more then 17.

Thanks mate!

No Worries!

Just remember the ferment temp depends on the type of beer and the type of yeast. My rule of thumb is, lower temp (18deg) for clean ales (ie. low ester profile, no yeasty flavours - American pale ales) higher temp (22deg) for fruity ales (English & Aussie Pales and so on).

Cheers,

Luke.

Cheers for that Luke!

I will keep that in mind for a few days time when i put my Sparkling ALe on!

Do you put your heat pad under your Fermenter or rest it on the side of the Fermenter? I read some place that putting the heat pad under it might not be such a good idea cause it heats up all the brewing "stuff" sitting on the bottom. but the guys at my homebrew shop said they wack it under the tub, any thoughts?

It's best not to heat the yeast sediment directly.

If you can manage it, place the heat pad near to the fermenting tub with the whole lot in some kind of an insulated cabinet - like an old fridge.

Josh,

I would rig your pad to a cheap arse timer which will switch it on and off to maintain the correct temp. A bit of fiddling will get your settings right.

Cheers,

Luke.

I bottled my Bavarian Stout tonight! I tatsted a small smaple it was ok....very stouty and a bit bitter, i hope the bittrernes mellows off in the bottle over the next few weeks. hydrometer was 1 mark over the 50 line before pitching the yeast and 2 marks under the 10 line just befor botteling. not sure what that means as far as alc content goes i have not yet figured out how that works! never was good at math! ha! Anyway i look foward to trying it in a few weeks! next up tomorrow is Sparkling Ale! I even went out and got a carton of sparkling long necks today to bottel it in!

The most important thing is that you get stable SG readings over a couple of days prior to bottling.

So the OG was 1048 and the FG is 1014, yeah?

Assuming you primed at the rate we recommend, the alcohol calculation should look like this:

(OG - FG) / 7.46 + 0.5 = (1048 - 1014) / 7.46 + 0.5 = 34 / 7.46 + 0.5 = 5% (approximately)

• 3 weeks later...

SUCCESS Paul!

I took my Bavarian stout over to a rellys house yesterday to watch the V8 race AND EVERYONE loved it! Even my misses liked it! one guy reckons it was pritty bloody good with a small glass of port in it! :lol:

Port in stout sounds a bit like the stuff we did for the Cornish festival years ago. It was called "Swanky", Sparkling Ale I think, and it was bottled with a dash of Madeira. :?

• 1 year later...

I just Jizzed in my pants!!!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead!....Im drinking my last bottle of this now, was bottled in plastic and still nicly fizzy, It taste AMAZING! id have to say in my expert opinion...LOL it is the most complex kit beerr i have ever tasted! It really smells a lot like a good port now! and tastes a mix between port and stout, with more stout chocolate comming through rather then coffee, for me thats a good thing!

yum yum![biggrin]

Archived