Coopers Community

Stay At Home Dad's

LaurieJay

• 4 months later...

I'm a retiree and kicking myself that I didn't get into this home brewing caper a lot sooner - my biggest thrill (well, second biggest) was to buy a carton of whatever was on special at the liquor store when the missus and I went grocery shopping each week.

Now I'm actively checking out all the recipes and posts on this forum and thinking about my next brew and how I can fine-tune it. My brews turn out absolutely delish and I look forward to 5pm each day to crack a bottle.

I know I'll have to get a life, but I'm just enjoying this one so much.

Cheers, Peter.

Slightly O/T, but I'm a stay at home carer.

My wife has CP, & gets about in a wheelchair, but works full time.

I maintain the house, garden, dog, & do all the physical stuff.

I don't know what to call myself anymore.

I was an estranged Dad from my 15 y/o daughter, who was fighting a losing battle with cancer.

I did my best to try to be there for her, but machinations of my ex wife, other family members, & circumstances kept me from being there physically or having much contact, though she knew she had my emotional support.

She passed away yesterday from metastisized Osto Sarcoma.

So either I'm not a Dad anymore, or I'm the Dad of a deceased daughter.

This is the first I have said to practically anyone about this.

It was bad enough being a divorced Dad, but fighting to maintain contact then cancer has taken so much out of me, I haven't really mentioned my daughter before on the forum.

She was madly into music, as am I, & really my only regret is that I never got to jam with her, as we're both guitarists.

Hi Beeblebrox,

What a sad time for you - I just Googled Ostosarcoma as I've never heard of - must be awful for you, losing your daughter this way, and so young too - I'm sure the brewing fraternity will be thinking of you, as I am.

Regards, Peter.

G'day Zaphod,

I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter mate, I know you've had a rough trot with the family and neighbour etc. and I'm deeply saddened and really feel for you mate.

I'm a guitarist too and know how special jamming with someone can be but just think that every time you pick up that guitar and belt out a tune she'll be right there with you jamming along.

Cheers Nathan.

Hi Beeblebrox,

So sorry to hear the loss of your daughter.

No matter the circumstances, losing a child is about the worst kind.

And one that far too many experience.

I can somewhat relate to and feel your pain and emotions right now.

Wishing you peace and calm thoughts.

Regards,

Nick

For the thread topic, no - I work full time but a couple of my mates are stay at home Dad's. Their partners wanted to go back to work full time?

• 4 months later...

While I'm not a 'Dad' (I do have dogs though, does that count?) I've always been very interested in staying home or perhaps you could call it 'semi retirement' I finally, after many years of hard work made it happen about 15 months ago and it's been great. But now, my Wife is the one staying home and I'm working my own business. . That's not how it was supposed to be! Ha. Well, I told her she's free to quit her job and I'll pay her a wage sorta thing. I still get plenty of time to hang out at home but found I enjoy doing something too. It's the 'balance' I was actually looking for all along. Plus it's great to be making money too while you're young and able ofcourse. The more the merrier.

Ps, I'm sorry for your loss Bee. That must be really difficult. I'm also a Guitarist, so is my Dad. He used tp run a guitar shop before retiring and we're both working Musicians. Well, 'were' I should say. I've been tired of gigging for years now and left one of the long term bands just last month. Still keep one active band but we only play once a month or so. I got really tired of the physical tiredness from late nights and the punters. We have the biggest bloody yobbos you're ever likely to come across in some pubs around Darwin and after 15 years I just couldn't deal with the stupidity anymore. It was a tough decision because the money is actually good up here, but what price do you put on your soul? It drained me. Still play a little at home but nothing like i used to.

Beeblebrox, So sorry to hear about your daughter. Been staring at this screen trying to think of something to say that's not condescending or preachy and just can't find the words. So I'll just offer my deepest condolences.

Yes, I'm a stay at home dad. Starting to see quite a few of us around these days which is great.

Archived