Coopers Community

A few Questions...

AussieJosh

Hi all im kinda new to homebrewing I have done 4 brews.. i just have a few questions...

Im about to make an Irish ale from the recipe I got off this site, I d just like to know what will the aprox alc content be when its ready to drink?

When making beer is it best to sprinkle then stir the yeast in or just sprinkle it on top and leave it?

on your site it says in regards to pale ale

"Recommended to be brewed with 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer2. Alternatively you may like to try using 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt and 250g Dextrose/Sugar"

I have made it the first way it recomends but if i make it with the light dry malt and Dexttrose will it taste more like the one I get from the bottle shop/pub?

Cheers for your help...

Josh.

:)

hey josh!

im just a homebrewer like you,you may want to wait paul from coopers reply, but since paul has been flat out ill share my opinion anyway!

dude, you would not taste the diff between the two brews.

you have your concentrate (the can)....and you have your sugars (refered to as the adjuncts).

your adjuncts are normal sugar(glucose i think it is)...(which will make a sweat ciderish beer)...you would taste this one!! eewwww

dextrose(which is a better choice to make a beer with)

brewing sugar (which is 1/4 maltodextrone and 3/4's dextrose,maltodextrone doesnt ferment out therefore gives your beer a better body and head)!

brew enhancer1( which is dextrose malto and some thing like the above!)..

brew enhancer 2( which is 500grams of light dry malt.250grams of dextrose n 250grams of maltodextrone).

.......................in simple terms mate......malt and maltodextrone dont get broken down completely by the yeast, therefore your beer gets body n holds a good heads!!!

its all about balance mate....like cooking recipes!

as for your alchohol...get your hydrometer reading at the start n finish of your brew n use calculations on this site to determine,,,,,,or just post it n someone will help ya out!!

................DONT STRESS MATE!...IT GETS HEAPS EASIER...YOU WILL DO A BREW WITH YA EYES SHUT SOON!!!

have a coupla beers n search the forum!

it may help ya later...or just ask away!

dont feel dumb,,, ask anything,,heapsa guys in here will help ya,,,n even when paul fom coopers is busy, he usually gets in once a day!

lol im on my ninth mate...hope i didnt bore the crap outta ya!

and as for stirring your yeast or just simply pitching...ahhh wait for pauls reply mate!!....i stir the water then pitch n let the yeast spin round n put the lid on!

cheers

matt

Hi Josh,

I would suggest re-hydrating the yeast first, then you can be sure the yeast is active! (I've never had a bad one from the Coopers kits)

I get some boiled water that is cooled to room temp, about 150ml in a small pyrex jug, stir in the yeast and cover with cling wrap.

While I'm getting everything else together I give it a swirl every now and then. By the time your ready to add it you should have a nice thick layer of yeast on the bottom of the jug and a layer of bubbles on top! (The whole process takes about 15 mins)

Make sure everything is sanitised that the yeast touches!

Cheers,

Luke.

i forgot to mention josh....soak up everything anyone says.........if my memory's correct paul suggests rehydrating your yeasts too!

.. :lol: dont do everything that everyone says though,,,if it sounds eccentric,wait for pauls reply!!!!...(that includes anything i say mate!)

i used to do it(rehydrate),but stopped after i spilt one........I SHOULD DO IT!!

WE ALL SHOULD I THINK!!

cheers mate matt!

G'day Josh,

Sprinkle dry yeast and stir liquid yeast :wink:

As Luke said: re-hydrating the yeast will give you confidence that it is active and gives the yeast a bit of a headstart in the fermenting process. The reason that the yeast becomes active and foams up is because the cells have energy reserves stored within, so budding will occur as soon as the cell walls have become pliable through hydration.

Having said all that, each to their own with the method for making beer. Try different techniques, make notes, don't change too many things at any one time and assess the final brew - ask yourself the question, "was it worth making the extra effort for the final outcome?"

Thirsty - it's Maltodextrin :roll:

For me, maltodextrin can give a slight coating on the tongue so I prefer to use the Malt/Sugar combination for the Pale Ale. Although, originally I developed the Pale Ale with BE2 as adjunct. :)

The Irish Ale recipe may be up around the 4.9% mark, not at work to check my brewing notes, but as per the sage advice from Thirsty, "use your hydro to measure OG and FG and calculate the approx alcohol"...emphassis on approximate!

Josh,

I go by the theory, the less steps you take, the less chance of anything going wrong and I just keep my brews relatively simple.

I sprinkle the yeast straight straight from the sachet on to the top of the brew and then close the lid and let nature take its course.

The only other things that I do is to make sure everything is very clean and properly rinsed (I don't believe you can do too much rinsing) and use good adjuncts i.e. BE2, Light Dried Malt or Coopers liquid malts.

Rubbish in, rubbish out, good stuff in, good stuff out.

Enjoy your brewing.

Cheers

Peter

:lol:

im going now to look up the word "sage"?

...............................................................ok im back thank you paul! :D

it sounded like a nasty word,,huge effort on my behalf being sage after 9 canadian blondes i think!!

cheers

matt

Thanks for your help guys....

I made the Irish Ale tonight. in my last brews I put the yeast in at the end and gave it a good stir. It never seemed to make the beer bad. But this time I just put it on top......Then I looked at it sitting on top of the foam and not in the liquid...and I could not help my self but to give it a little stir....

Also when opening the BE1 instead of cutting the bag I tried to open it like a bag of chips....half of it ended up on the kitchen bench and I had to palm it in to the tub, fingers crossed it did not get infected after I spent ages sanitising equipment! anyway it looks good! I cant wait to taste it in three weeks! I\u2019ve got two weeks left until I can try my coopers Mexican style beer!

Also when opening the BE1 instead of cutting the bag I tried to open it like a bag of chips....half of it ended up on the kitchen bench and I had to palm it in to the tub

LOL :lol: While I can't say ur brew will be fine, I can say that the times that this has happened to me, the brew turned out ok. I just keep an eye on it an hope for the best :)

Paul

Ok another question....

I have made my Irish ale and its been in its tub now for 8 days. Im not sure if i should bottle it? It is bubbling about once every minute or every minute and a half. All my other Brews I have made have stoped Bubbling after day number 4 or 5. In it there is...

1.7kg can Coopers Draught

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

300 grams Golden Syrup

Well honestly i by mistake/on purpose put about 340 grams of golden syrup in....not sure if that has anything to do with it? Its ment to ferment at around 20 degrees but mine has been sitting at about 18 for most of the time. Its ment to be bottled at 1.012...it says on the site.... I took a reading today and it was sitting 2 lines under the 10....does that mean its 1.014??...sorry if i have confused anyone, this hydro reading stuff is confusing for me. Its just i want to put this brew all in to glass and i dont want any exploading.

Cheers! :)

Gee Wizz Lemon Fizzz!!!!

Thanks for such a quick reply Paul! Ill take a reading today and if its the same ill bottle! Fingers crossed none expload!

Is the little bottler long enough for coopers 750ml glass long necks!?

Cheers!

P.S i got a couple of my friends to become members, so soon you may be answering more questions you have answerd 100 times before! ;)

the bottlers long enough josh!!!

all the stuff your talking about now will become routine to you very shortly mate!

you will be able answer ya mates questions ya self!!

ive been brewing now for about 4 yrs i think????

im still learning but.....

TWO THINGS ILL SAY TO YOU TOO REMEMBER:

always take your hydrometer readings!!!!!!!!.......ALWAYS!!!!

and never underestimate the use of a quality yeast!!!!(leave this one in mind for later!)

cheers

matt

p.s. if you ever have a problem or question, the first thing paul from coopers will ask is :YOUR "RECIPE" AND YOUR "HYDROMETER READINGS"!!

p.p.s. if your fermenting below say 25 degrees and your not sure when too bottle,,,,then leave it another two or 3 days,,your at most risk of infection the higher your temp!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys And Girls And Paul! ;)

I am in to day number 6 of brewing my original Bitter in its first firmentation stage.....Its been brewing at 18c day and night and i will bottle it tomorrow if its reading is the same as todays. The thing is .......(and i know im not ment to pay any attention to the air lock) but i have seen no bubbling at all!!! this is brew number 5 or 6 for me and its the first ive had/seen not bubble! I check it two or three times a day and nothing..... there is condensation on the top of the inside of the lid and a scum ring above the brew....I also tasted some today when i wa taking the reading and it tasted fine. I guess i just want to know if anyone has had no bubbling before? and what would be the reason for this? Its also the first time i just put the yest on top and did not stire it...would that have anything to do with it!? I like the bubbles! they give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside!!!! ;)

When that's happened to me, it's because of a leak from the lid of the fermenter. The top of the fermenter is a little uneven where the plastic parts of the mould join together from when it was made. I had to clean mine up a little with a razor blade when I bought it. But I still have to screw the lid on very tight for it to seal.

The way to check if you have an air leak is to give the fermenter a squeeze. If it is air tight then the water level will rise in the air lock and stay up until you release the squeeze. If it doesn't go up or drops down again then tighten the lid a bit more and try again.

Forget the bubbles mate! if the brew is reading the same for two days in a row bottle it! I have just bottled my last 'origional bitter' brew on the weekend and though I don't have the time to check it several times a day, I never saw it bubble at all!

Aussie Josh,

The non-bubbling airlock is very common.

Paul got me onto chucking out the lid and just using glad wrap! You can see inside and see whats going on!!! Just keep the o-ring from the lid to secure the glad wrap.

Cheers,

Luke.

Paul. you could save coopers a lot of cash by telling them to stop making the lid and air lock, and just throwing a roll of cling wrap in the kit box! Its all about coast cuts and maximum profits! as my boss would say....you could be coopers emplyee of the month/year!

Archived