Coopers Community

Lagering

Luke

Hi Paul,

I'm currently lagering (for the first time) my Euro Lager at about 3 deg.

This one's going to be bottled. Do I raise the temp at bottling or just bottle at that temp?

Thanks,

Luke.

G'day Luke,

when you say "lagering", I'm guessing you have dropped it from primary (into a cube or similar). This is not a problem when kegging and force carbonating. However, when naturally conditioning in bottle you may find there is not sufficient yeast in suspension to achieve enough fizz.

Warming the brew back to 18C, or thereabouts, prior to bottling should help. You may need to give the bottles a shake every day for 1 to 2 weeks just to keep what yeast there is in suspension.

Thanks Paul,

Yes, I racked to a carboy.

I might just keg this and bottle a couple just to see how they carbonate.

I could dose the the bottling bucket with more yeast but that would be defeating the purpose of lagering.

Cheers,

Luke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

hi all,

paul, i lager my lagers in a 2nd fermenter at 2-4 degrees how long can/should i leave it without too much risk of infection or anything???

it was sparkilng ale with saf 2-23 ferm @ 11degrees and 25 litres, 16-18 degrees for last five days just to make sure of complete ferment.

cheers

matt

You can lager for months buddy! No problems with infection. The bacteria gets very sluggish in the cold and doesn't like it at all.

Cheers,

Luke.

• 2 months later...

i think lagering makes a pretty good difference to your beer!

it clears it and conditions it up a bit for a better drink!!

i think it would be better to transfer too another fermenter, but, im pretty sure it would do some good even if you dont!!

wait for paul's reply josh......or even stick the bugger in the fridge after final gravity n wait for paul's reply!!

it wont hurt it!

cheers

matt

p.s. i find if i let my KEGS CONDITION UP in the fridge, the beer is alot better!! (i put them in fridge for a week plus before drinking!!!)

The common method is to rack the beer to a secondary vessel (quite often not shaped like a fermenting vessel) then chill.

Try chilling the primary and see how it turns out. The longer you leave the primary vessel to clean the more difficult it is to remove the crusty bits.

Honestly moving my beer from one vessal to another, finnings and all that stuff just sounds like to much hard work to me! i think after fermentation is compleat right to the bottle is the way to go for me! I cant waight till i get in to Kegging! Even Less work!!! :wink:

my opinion is ya dont need finings if you are lagering!!

also mate, i find that even with bottles.........let them condition up in fridge for a week before drinking!

what i say may not be fact, but me thinks ya cant beat 'CHILLIN THE BEER HARD"!

also...if your happy with ya beers as is...why change!?

cheers

matt

Archived